Sloping Off

Advert

On the box "buy today fly tomorrow. 'eck DF that's okay with previous experience perhaps but like you, I find it quite an unrealistic claim.

Posted by stephen wenban on 09/07/2011 01:13:21:
great job for your first crack at foam and tape Ian

Posted by Lee Morgan on 09/07/2011 01:18:26:
Well done mate good job

Lee

Thanks chaps, I've gone all shy and lost for words.

Ian

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 10/07/2011 21:43:55:
Still looking good Ian, you'll have it up and blasting around the slopes in no time now.

Thanks Steve, not a lot left to do. The elevon setup on my Tx has even been simple to set up because the movements were in the right directions by default so no getting my mixes in a mix there .

I have a few non-modelling things I have to attend to for a few days (and so will be quiet on the rest of the forum too), then I'll be back at it good style.

Ian

My trusty old HiTec Eclipse 7 is perfect for the job:

So that I can fit the pushrods & setup the elevons I've borrowed an optima 7Rx from my yet to be assembled Harmon Rocket. It doesn't fit in the recess but the Minima that's going to be fitted will. Hmm, maybe I can get the switch harness & charging socket in there too:

Only deviation from the instructions with the elevons is that I've used swing keepers instead of a z bend on the push rods:

Next I will be dealing with a problem fitting the fins.

Posted by David Gilder on 17/07/2011 02:37:23:
Ian,

If your that concerned I could always pop down to IJ Manor House to assist!!

Free on Tues and Thursday!!

Dave

No, No, not that concerned.

You would of course be welcome, however I have dealt with it.

The problem was that the fins were bent as they came out of the box and also didn't seem to be long enough . Although I still have a few steps to add to this thread the JP-Si build is all but finished except for the Rx which is still on order.

Thanks for the offer Dave.

Posted by iawnski on 17/07/2011 10:52:13:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm could this be new fodder for the combat crew mmmmmmmmm mmm i like ,nice build

You will have to catch me first iawnski.

I guess that's kinda fightin talk round these here parts.

10 minutes + travelling time after I get my hands on the Rx .

In the last RCM&E Hitec advertised their new Minima RX, so I shot around to my LMS to get one - not in stock for 10 days. Oh not so bad since I was still wrapped up in tape like a mummy. This week - not in stock for 10 days.

I strongly support my LMS and it's not his fault - J Perkins don't have them for him to order. My guess is that somone else got priority on the first batch (if there has been one). I am getting despaerate though and may have to shop around.

Elevons fitted and adjusted as far can be done at this stage so now it's on to the not very inspiring fins. They were both bent the same way when they came out of the box and laid across the wing tip they didn't extend the full length from the LE to the elevon TE. So what was I to do?

Moving the fin forward enough to cover the end of the wing would have made the fin too short at trailing edge:

So after some time fiddling and trying this and that I found that if I angled the fins in a particular way I could get pretty much what I understood to be the desired effect for the top of the wing:

I also decided that keeping the fins flat whilst applying the tape was likely to help take the bends out.

So after covering the fins, which did indeed help a little I needed a means of positioning the fins in just the right place to allow me to finish the job. Out with the double side mounting tape, applied to the wing tip and then the excess cut off:

Then it's easy to get the fin the right place, with the pointy bit at the front :

This made a decent job of flattening the bent fins too:

So the fins are on, they just need finishing now...

Edited By Ian Jones on 17/07/2011 17:35:33

Time to try and thread some tape through the slots in the fins without the tape catching partway through and ending up with sticky lump of tape.

Hmmm, Aha :

With just enough adhesion on the blade to be able to take the slack out of the tape I found I could lead the tape through the slot with the top surface up against the top of the slot:

then having got the tape through the slot without getting a crumpled up mess it's just a case of smoothing it down:

A little shaping at the front of the fins and I'll hide that gap underneath when I put the final tape covering on.

What about the shaping for the underside of the fin though?

The instructions say to cut the fins to match the profile of the underside of the wing. I was about to do that when I realised that down elevon would drop the elevon below the base of the fin. Is that good?
Well I don't know but it seems odd to need a fin for the rest of the elevon travel but not for downwards. Anyway I've decided to leave it like this and see how she goes - unless someone can give a really good reason why not that is.

So that's it for now. Without the Rx I can't completely finish it but while I'm waiting I might as well start working on visibilty:

and orientation:

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 17/07/2011 18:06:11:
I hope you are planning on some nice bright stripes or similar to help visibility Ian.

With a few minor additional embelishments I was planning on the yellow/black contrast doing the job Tim.

Wadya think

Posted by iawnski on 17/07/2011 18:03:15:
hi ian nice job ,with the fins what i did was attatch some velcro to the wing and some to the fins ,as they are the 1st to be a prob if u have any arrivals
Ta very much iawnski.

Velcro, right - something else for the slopeside essentials list then.

Tips look great Ian, as tim said stop fussing!! lol

I used a bit of epoxy on mine to initially hold them in place, my fins were if anything a little too long, i had to trim them off at the tips, i reckon having no tips for down elavon must be fine, thats how i have built mine.

Colour wise, as you saw with mine, i made the top quite busy but different on the left than on the right, and underneath i just put some trim on the central join line of the wing nothing else in an attempt to help with orientation, keep it up Ian, it's coming along great

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 17/07/2011 19:50:27:
On the colours, personally, I would make sure whatever you use, its nothing like the other side IYSWIM.
I would leave the top plain, as after all, you wont be seeing much of it

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 17/07/2011 19:59:58

I often fly with the plane lower than me, but a completely different pattern on the bottom to the top does help.

I too have used velcro on my fins, dead easy to refit if they come off on arrival.

Well done on making such a good job of it , You get past that the next time you build one , infact when you get to your third it only takes 10mins from box to flying

Lee

Posted by Ian Jones on 17/07/2011 17:33:22:
...................so now it's on to the not very inspiring fins.................

When you get to the point that flying it with the fins is no longer a challenge, just try flying it without any fins for a day. If that doesn't quicken your reactions nothing will. Mwahahahaha!