Sloping Off

Me thinks this coming bank holiday weekend could be a busy one on the Orme, the more the merrier eh. I am really looking forward to having a go at some combat

Advert

You missed a cracker today mate.... best 4 man combat session we have had in a long long time.
Literally had to stop flying a couple of times as my sides were hurting so much with the laughing.
Superb conditions ( 30MPH ) and sunburnt too.
My wildthing now needs some repair work - including I suspect a broken wing spar.

In a previous post I said "My shoulders don't move well as a result of having been frozen some years ago and I also have MS which affects my ability to hold my arms up but I can launch right handed and we have a cunning plan so I will get there."

Well it was Tim's suggestion really but I've followed it up. I've setup some mixes on my mode2 Tx, the effect being that both sticks do the same thing , yes move the throttle and there's an elevator response, move the rudder and there's ailerons response. Some interesting effects can be acheived by moving both sticks at once .

To prevent any accidents, I hope, the mixes will only be switched on for launching with my right hand whilst I fly with the left. Once airborne I'll switch to my usual pure mode2.

Shame I am not up North I could do with a bit of combat practice before the kids come back.

Ian if you have trouble launching I have seen people using pedal bungee launchers, a bit cumbersome but OK for the main sites where you park n fly, take a look here for one style.

Jon

Posted by iawnski on 26/08/2011 19:33:30:
ok boys COMBAT planes on charge for sunday,watch out were comeingu can hide ian but you cant out run us lol
Erm, D didn't I hear Irene is coming about the s same time? P p perhaps we should leave it .

Posted by Conwy Soarer on 26/08/2011 22:10:50:
Shame I am not up North I could do with a bit of combat practice before the kids come back.

Ian if you have trouble launching I have seen people using pedal bungee launchers, a bit cumbersome but OK for the main sites where you park n fly, take a look here for one style.

Jon

Thanks very much - I'll have a go one Sunday, I'm quite optimistic I'll find a way. However I have an EDF HET Blue Angels F18 that I understand will definitely need a bungee launch so either way it looks like that pedal release could be useful.

Posted by iawnski on 26/08/2011 19:33:30:
ok boys COMBAT planes on charge for sunday,watch out were comeingu can hide ian but you cant out run us lol

Ever feel like you are missing out......... even if the other half could drive me to the Orme (from Dorset) the damn cars engine literally exploded today smoke shards of metal everywhere, a passing recovery chap said he thought it was the big end........ trying to remain positive but it's gettin to be a bit of a challenge!!!!!!

Hope you chaps have a good time at the weekend who knows, maybe one day i'll be able to come up and show you whipper snappers a trick or 2 lol

Edited By Dorset flyer on 26/08/2011 23:55:37

I'm off with a couple of mates in a moment.
16mph WNW - perfect for our own 'private' site at Woolacombe.
Cars loaded up with a Fox, a Wildthing, an Impulse and a Turbo Esprit. That should cover all eventualities.
Coffee and sarnies made, camera charged and raring to go!
Been waiting for a day like this for 3 weeks............

Dorset Flyer- hard luck, that's going to hurt the pocket a bit. Ah, I know. just leave it waiting to be repaired for a few weeks then with the money you've saved get a rail ticket to Llandudno . Seriously though - hope you get it sorted soon.

Devon Flyer - Sounds good to me and a local flying site is something I need to sort out too. I'm not giving up my visits to the Orme though . Provided I survive tomorrow that is .

Posted by Devon Flyer on 27/08/2011 09:54:30:
I'm off with a couple of mates in a moment.
16mph WNW - perfect for our own 'private' site at Woolacombe.
Cars loaded up with a Fox, a Wildthing, an Impulse and a Turbo Esprit. That should cover all eventualities.
Coffee and sarnies made, camera charged and raring to go!
Been waiting for a day like this for 3 weeks............

Me and the other half used to holiday at Woolacombe alot years ago, lovely area!

Posted by Ian Jones on 27/08/2011 11:08:13:
Dorset Flyer- hard luck, that's going to hurt the pocket a bit. Ah, I know. just leave it waiting to be repaired for a few weeks then with the money you've saved get a rail ticket to Llandudno . Seriously though - hope you get it sorted soon.

Lol Ian, i love your happy go lucky outlook! sadly the car is dead, off to the big car yard in the sky.... but we have been fortunate enough to procure a replacement from a friend but it's a...........................i can't bring myself to say it............................it's a .......................................................................................................................

Ford K.A!!!!!!! beggars can't be choosers and all but can you imagine me 6 foot 2" folding myself into it! plus one baby seat and a 6 year old in the back.... we must look like the family from Peppa Pig! lol....(you'll know what i mean if you have kids).

Still we were very lucky to get it and i am very gratefull just need to get used to the tiny thing, i have nicknamed it "the rollerskate" as i reckon if you had 2 side by side with sunroofs i could well use them as skates!

Posted by Dorset flyer on 28/08/2011 00:13:48:
Posted by Ian Jones on 27/08/2011 11:08:13:

snip,snip:

"Still we were very lucky to get it and i am very gratefull just need to get used to the tiny thing, i have nicknamed it "the rollerskate" as i reckon if you had 2 side by side with sunroofs i could well use them as skates! "
Well at least it's step in the right direction and with a bit of engineering you can convert it into a quite reasonabley sized flying wing .

Posted by Devon Flyer on 28/08/2011 09:16:29:
Posted by Dorset flyer on 27/08/2011 16:04:11
Me and the other half used to holiday at Woolacombe alot years ago, lovely area!

Back there again in a mo'.........it's only a ten minute drive from my place, from leaving to launching.

10 minutes ! 10 minutes , 10 flippin minutes ! I'm going to have to sort me out a slope in the Cheshire Plain . The must be a bump somewhere I can get some practice in before the hooligans at the Gt. Orme set on me again .