ST Models Fox

Phil E

Suspect I'm in need of replacing the motor on my ST Models Fox. Anyone know if such spares are directly available or what a suitable replacement might be? Currently uses a 10 x 6 folding prop, believe it is 900kv with a threaded shaft.

All help appreciated!
Phil

• 10 months later...
Advert

Still not really got thsi sorted. Would this be ok for the Fox?

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_325&products_id=880

Although suggesting a 11 x 4.7 prop on 3s could I use the existing 10 x 6 folding prop?

Any thoughts, anyone?

Phil

I was disappointed with the power train of my ST Fox, Phil. After a lot of messing about, I eventually settled on leaving the original motor fitted, replaced the original Toytown prop and spinner with a decent 10 x 8 folding prop (after cutting off the threaded part of the shaft) and replaced the iffy ESC with a DYS 30A from Giantcod.

This has improved things dramatically! I haven't any power figures to hand at present but it's a dfferent aircraft now........

If your existing motor is in working order, changing the other bits may be all the improvement you need.

Pete

Interesting Pete B - I flew one of these for the first time yesterday. I expected great things but I felt the motor lacked any enthusiasm to do much more than keep it flying.

It was evening and no thermals so I didn't get to try it without power on for long but it seemed as if it would be fine.

Your upgrade sounds inexpensive so I'll pass it on to the owner of the Fox I flew.

Overall I too have been disappointed with the Fox particularly as it is suppose to "scream aerobatics".

Actually my ESC went up in smoke on the second flight so has already been replaced and upgraded to a 28A and it's certainly the motor that is in need of replacement now.

Nice looking model but needs more power!.

Phil

I've just put mine on the watt meter and I get 194W at 16.1A. The motor hasn't protested at those amps but I only use full throttle in short bursts.

I see the Robotbirds motor you mention is another bell-type with the threaded shaft and at 9A, the best you can hope for is about 90W or so.

Better to get away from the threaded shaft type and go for something a bit more substantial such as this 2217-9T.

I sliced off the nose flush to the bulkhead to fit another motor (which turned out to be u/s) and re-glued the nose once I'd fitted the motor, so the 2217 would fit OK. I have used a pair of these in an E-Flite P-38 and they are quite pokey.

The supplied prop assembly really isn't worth the noseweight, IMHO. I didn't even bother keeping it for the spares box!

Pete

ps Looking at a few more motors, the Emax 2215/25 would suit, too. It is available at Robotbirds but there is a better spec sheet at GS, but it's OOS. Available too at Modelaccessories, where I've had good service.

Edited By Pete B on 26/05/2012 11:03:26