Assan Hack Conversion Graupner/JR mx-12

Swissflyer

My Assan hack module Graupner JR conversion to 2.4GHz has now been operational for 15 months.

It has worked flawlessly on a variety of models up to 250W

I will try it on a 500W model soon, as I have now built up confidence with the system.

I bought the Transmitter very cheaply on ebay in Germany; no one buys 40-41MHz there any more! I hesitated between dual use 40MHz & 2.4GHz. Somehow, I had the feeling that once on 2.4GHz I would never look back! And that is how things are!

If you can solder servo leads (positive, signal & negative) you can do this project.

Here are some comments on the photos:

I decided to mount the 2.4GHz antenna in place of the 40MHz one.

I cut the "Top Ring" of aerial support to make space for the 2.4GHz antenna. It looks good that way.

Current 40MHz module, see the three wires joining it top left; they are like servo wires, positive (red) a signal wire and negative ground.

I have found the "ground" wire and marked it with a piece of black tape.

You can see the old white antenna wire bottom centre of 40MHz Tx module.

Nearly done, the only issue was how to align the green LED (white blob at top of Assan module) with the existing TX crystal slot on back of Tx so that binding to receivers can be checked.

Solution: The Assan module is taped to the aerial lead running down from the antenna.

This aligns everything well and keeps everything in one place.

My God you are so brave!

Any time now, the postings will be coming in, with the message, "You cannot do that". What about insurance. Where is the CE sticker. Oh, that certificate is not enough. I can hear the jobsworth warming up, their shrill screams, rendering the air like lightning bolts.

You are so brave, or is that foolish?

Thanks Erfolg,

Yes, I thought about the CE thing but so long as the Assan CE certification is genuine, & I am sure it is; then what are we doing when we normally do RC modelling?

We are stringing together a bunch of CE certified modules (Tx, Rx, Servos) and hoping it will all work!

It makes me wonder how many of those Chinese servos are CE certified?

Actually we should all be aware that the Chinese have their own CE label, they say it means China Export! Others say it means their exporters can put “CE” labels (China Export) on goods sold to Europe and fool consumers into thinking that they bought a product expensively tested in a EU certified lab!

Caveat emptor

Mark

I was almost joking

I am sure that you guys in Germany know more about CE certificates than I do. Yet from what I have read, as a marking it tells you nothing about what it is compliant with. It just tells you that in principle it is compliant with the relevant regulations.

It could in your case mean that the modules are compliant, yet your installation is not necessarily compliant.

I am no fan of the CE marking, although in principle I agree with the idea, that all the regulations with respect to standards should be the same. Which I believe is more important in ensuring that standards are not used as a means of protectionism, at least within the EU.

In the case of the Assan, I have no intrinsic problems with this sort of modification, although I suspect there are many in the UK, will be beside themselves.