Electric Retracts for 120 size bird

Snorbitz

So i've treated myself to a new 120 size war bird and having had mixed fortunes with a traditional air up/down undercarriage system before i'm looking around for an electric up/down alternative....I've found a set made by Lander on "a well known auction site which look fine but as always has anyone tried these before....your honest thoughts would be appreciated.

Advert

Just answered you on you other thread - not impressed with them TBH.
1) not the strongest looking construction
2) one of the mains is sloppy, - some tolerance tightening needed in the factory
3) One unit has now failed completely - and they are only on the bench testing stage

Looks like I will have to return the duff unit to China for exchange

• 1 month later...
I have a 1.6m PC9 for which I put in electric retracts. The problem I have is when I conducted a range check, all the controls started to flutter and the landing gear operated on its own occord. Even with aerial fully extended this still happened.
I am on 35mz. I ran the aerial out underneath the airframe just behind the wing, so most of the aerial is exposed.
I have used seperated batterys for the receiver and retracts. I have tested it with one power supply but the problem still persists.
I have even tried a different receiver and transmitter to no avail.
I do not have this problem with my other models, which I conducted a range check on, on the same day and they were fine.
Any suggestions.......Please!

• 1 month later...
Tim - I'm having similar problems with a set of E-flite 60-120 retracts fitted into a 'Deuces Wild' twin. I'm using a DX8 Tx / AR8000 Rx. The main flying control servos, incl flaps& nosegear steering servo all work fine, but the gear operation is erratic - random sequencing of 1 or 2 legs only at times, and occassionally ALL servos cycle through uncommanded max deflections and have even locked at max travels when only the gear switch was operated. I downloaded the Tx settings to Horizon Hobby who tested it and apparently all worked perfectly. The gear always cycles correctly and in unison when checked on a servo tester. There is obviously some kind of interference/feedback when selecting gear from the Tx, but I'm at a loss as to why they often fail to retract/extend in unison. Any ideas anyone?

Posted by Tim Mackey on 28/07/2011 22:36:55:
Just answered you on you other thread - not impressed with them TBH.
1) not the strongest looking construction
2) one of the mains is sloppy, - some tolerance tightening needed in the factory
3) One unit has now failed completely - and they are only on the bench testing stage

Looks like I will have to return the duff unit to China for exchange

And 4 months on, Im still waiting for the replacement unit!

John - I think I may have sorted out the problem with my retracts - fingers crossed. I was using a 6v pack for the receiver and a 4.8v pack for the retracts. I'm no eletronics expert but I was told that they can interfere with each other??? I have now changed both packs for 4.8v and they seem to be ok after doing a range check, but rather apprehensive about flying it. If it does continue, then the only other option is to have just one battery pack!
This could be the same with yours. I'm assuming yours is electric?
I will let you know how I get on.

Glad to hear you've got it sorted Tim - wishing you happy landings! Yes, the Deuces Wild is electric, 1x3S + ESC/BEC each side, plugged into 'throttle' port via 'Y' lead - although I've been testing it with just 1x3S connected one side only. There is no seperate battery for the retracts - reading some other threads perhaps it would help if there was - if I could work out how to rig it up. Having trike gear, there must be a big demand on power with 3 powerful servos trying to operate at once. Anyone think this might help?

Tim/John There is a good argument for a separate battery for servo operated retracts. If for any reason one of the legs gets stuck, the servo will be stalled and will continue to draw a high current from the battery throughout the rest of the flight. If this is the Rx battery then there is the likelihood of that going flat.
But with the E-flite retracts, if a leg does get stuck, the electronics detect that and turn off the motor. So having a second battery isn't really so important.

• 10 months later...