whats a slow fly prop ?

scuba steve

hi guys,

i'm trying to replace the prop i got on a 2nd hand model.

on the back of the prop is written :

APC 10 x 3.8

when i google this to find a UK shop i keep getting the correct prop but is says 'slow fly'

can anyone explain this ? also what's 'pusher' or a 'tractor'

thanks
steve

Advert

First off, the writing is on the FRONT of the prop, so be sure to fit it the right way
Slow Fly means the prop is suited o slower lighter models only, and they tend to be more flexible and lightly constructed.
Pusher props are a throw back to IC days when you wanted an engine on the back to "push" the 'plane along. Because the engine only runs anticlockwise ( usually ) then a prop with the blades "pitched" the other way was needed.
Tractor = pull. Engine on front, so normal pitch blades.
Of course, we leccy guys have no need for such things, we simply reverse the direction of the motor and use a normal tractor prop - if fitting on a pusher motor configuration, then again...ensure the writing is always facing the front of the model, in the direction of flight.

Nope the motor should run ANTICLOCKWISE when viewed from the front.
Prop fits with writing facing you as you fit it.
I wouldnt use a 10 x 3.8 slow fly on an extra 300 - I have the exact same model and it needs more pitch speed than a 3.8 will provide. I use a 12 x 6 regular (APCE)

"E" stands for electric

the motor is definitely running clockwise when viewed from the front....do you think that's why the prop was on backwards (with the writing on the back) which i'm pretty sure it was when i looked at the prop before i took it off ?

the 3 colour coded wires from ESC - motor are all matched too ???

shall i reverse the motor spin direction to anticlockwise by swapping the wires around ?

thanks for your advice on this by the way

steve

Fitting a prop backwards does not alter the thrust direction but the prop will be aerodynamically inefficient. You cannot correct incorrect rotation by reversing the the prop. Just make sure the the prop is fitted at Tim says and the rotation is anticlockwise.

thanks for all the advice guys. i will do as instructed

i like to understand what i'm doing so can you point me towards links on, for example :

understanding electric RC plane flight....or things like that.

i'm seriously thinking of getting a Seagull Swift 40 Trainer 63" wing span. i want to chose motor, prop, esc, servo, battery for it but want to understand why i use what etc

many thanks

steve

Crikey Myron, I remember my dad doing that!!!

Also throwing a rag into it to stop it when it ran backwards (diesel), I'm confused now, what happens when you put the prop on backwards and the engine runs backwards as well?!!

Probably best not to launch it!

I have an RCM&E proper selector card pinned up in my shed, a free 'gizzit' with the mag some years ago, don't know if that could be done again and updated for leccie stuff? Some of the higher end motor company websites (AXI, Mega etc) give prop recommendations for different motors and aircraft combinations I think, worth a look in times of doubt!

GB

Edited By Gary Binnie on 29/07/2011 21:29:24

Yep, that's the technique he used, not read it in books though!!

To drift very slight more OT I do remember an engine falling out of a Luton Minor (Aeromodeller Plans Service) at Little Rissington, it just dethermalised itself down in a series of stalls, no damage!

Eric Coates was the scale judge if you remember him.

Happy days.

GB