T 8 FG or FF 10(T10CG)

Sir John

Advert

I'd go to the shop if possibly and try both in your hands. The 8FG is a very slim tx and it doesn't suit everyone, however the software in it is practically the same as the 12FG, and you are also getting a 14 channel tx compared the the 10 channel T10CG.

The 8FG is also capable of receiving software updates from Futaba, where I think there will be no more updates for the 10CG.

Since swapping from a Spektrum DX8, I have been very impressed by my 8FG. Takes a little while to get your head around the programming, but you are getting a very flexible tx for not a lot of money.

If it was my choice, I'd go for the 8FG.

Cheers,

Simon

Sir, my opinion is not quite the same as simon's, there are a few factors I would like to point out, the 8fg as the name implys 8 channel altho simos points out there will posible no further updates with the10CG, but how many of us bother with updates anyway.
As with the 8FG the 10 has all 10ch's swichable,the Recievers are cheaper, also H/K (orange) do a elcheapo one, the 10 CG is far cheaper and not quite as mind boggling in understanding the programming, there are several intuitive manuals avail also for it
It also depends on your modeling future what you are going to use it for, if it is scale then the 10 ch is the way to go
My thoughts
A.A. Barry

Not had a 10GC so can't really comment. However I have had an 8FG for the last 15 months. I also have a DX6i and have had a long train of previous Futaba Tx's so can compare the 8FG with them.

In my view the 8FG is a superb Tx. Does everything I want and much more. Its been 100% reliable. Re programming I don't think its much more difficult than other systems - although all that flexibility obviously has to come at the price of some complexity. I've often heard Spektrum users say they find it challenging at first (as in Simon's comment above) but as someone who uses both Spektrum and Futaba I honestly believe that 90% of that is just a case of what you are familiar with. If you are used to Spektrum then yes the Futaba will seem strange and even counter intuitive at times. But if you are from a Futaba background then I would think you would take to the 8FG like the proverbial duck to water!

So, I can't advise re the 10CG but I think I can say you wouldn't regret buying an 8FG.

BEB

PS The "Super" 8FG on sale now comes with the 14 channel update ready installed.

Even if you find a new "old" 8FG, you can still download the update and transform your 8FG to a 14 channel tx.

It took about an hour with the manual before I was happy navigating around my 8FG, but once you've got your head around it, the options are endless.

Not sure about the cost comment, as the combo's are practically the same price, but you can get the 8FG tx only for 260 quid.

Personal preference at the end of the day, but I know a lot of people who have gone over to the 8FG after having problems with another particular brand of radio, and all agree that you get a lot of transmitter for the price.

My first 2.4 set was the modular 35/2.4 10C which allowed me to transition from 35Mhz to 2.4 Ghz having had this for some three years I decided recently to get the 8FG Super which is now as BEB has said is 14 channel. It's very well specified and priced plus a major attraction being it's more future proof of as it can be updated online via it's SD card slot. I would say plump for the 8FG preferably the Super.

No worries BEB.

I have a 10CG and it has some virtues - it has a bigger screen that's easier to glance at and programming is very much an evolution from the good old FF9/9C but it has fewer features, it's less flexible and it's heavier too, the light, slim 8FG is the one that get's picked up all the time when I go flying.

I'm a big fan of the 10C...I got mine a couple of years ago & it does everything I'm ever likely to want out of a radio. I got it because of the ability to use both 2.4 & 35MHz modules to ease the financial pain of changing over. I certainly think you would be getting an excellent radio if you bought one...

BUT!!

It seems that Futaba are moving pretty fast & I think the 10C will turn out to be an evolutionary dead end with the 8/14 channel 8FG being the kind of future development we are likely to see.

Personally, & I speak as a lifelong Futaba disciple, I'm not too sure where Futaba are going with their radios...they seem to be chasing ever higher specifications with their S-BUS & FASST systems (at increasingly high prices obviously) or offering the very basic FHSS system at the budget end....what about the vast majority of flyers (like me) who just want a good middle of the road set with a few mixes & lots of model memories...Futaba seem to be leaving us behind in the rush to ever greater technical sophistication.

By the way I am not a Luddite...far from it...I love a shiny switch & cunningly mixed servos as much as anyone but I do struggle to see the relavance of many of Futabas innovations....

Its a fair point David.....after all it was only 30 years ago that we were all using 27MHz AM sets....& looking suspiciously at this new fangled FM stuff!!! Then 20 years ago we all looked at the computer controlled stuff with the same scepticism...I mean who would really need these new fangled "Dual Rate" thingys & servo reversing on all channels....that'll never catch on.....

Why we used to set up a throttle servo with no reversing, no end point adjustment & only mechanical adjustments possible & still get a perfect idle speed & no stalling of the servo at full throttle either.....now that's REAL aeromodelling Lad .....& don't you forget it!!!!