Maidened my super sexy FlyFly DG 1000 yesterday after putting it off for a month or two. It's the FlyFly version at 2.65m span. I've got it running on an Axi 2820/10 and 3s lipos. TPMG90S servos all round apart from the rudder which is on a standard size servo.
I count myself lucky that a) I'm an experience pilot and b) I had more power than I would ever need.
From a launch into a headwind of about 13mph on the flat field at Chivenor, it went almost vertical and then veered violently to the right. Fortunately, it had reached a height and a speed where I could recover it and land straight away. Phew!!!
Took 5 minutes 'recovery time' did a few adjustments and had a second attempt.
This one was more successful and gave me time to get to a proper height and sort out trims etc. Definitely tail heavy - even though I balanced it right on the recommended point. Will alter balance point, fit smaller prop and twiddle with a couple of the mixes and I reckon it should be about right. I know these things are supposed to be very prone to tip stalling, but that didn't seem to be a problem in the 6 or 7 minutes I as airborne. Mind you , I was puposefully keeping the speed up as I have previous experience of this type of glider.
All in all, I think this one will turn out OK - and at £69.99 for the kit, what a bargain!

Advert

I have 2 of the DG1000 both are pure slope flyers and I setup the throws as
elevator 7.0mm up and down
aileron 15 up 8mm down
rudder to aileron mix 75%
I also set the ailerons up with a small amount of reflex ,about the t/edge thickness
to induce some washout which helps to reduce the Tip stall effect. My second one uses the steel joiner which Ive cut in the centre andwhere it exit the wing root bent to pproduce a little Dihedral which also helps to setlle it doen in the air . Good luck with yours I think for the money are a pretty good value

Edited By stephen wenban on 23/08/2011 21:14:02

Edited By stephen wenban on 23/08/2011 21:14:33

Hey DF keep me posted on how you go on becuase I wasn't so fortunate when I experienced very similar problems with mine. (Details in this thread here) As mentioned in that thread it would give me great encouragement to rebuild mine if I had some sort of confidence that I had fixed the problem.

Snippit from your post, " Took 5 minutes 'recovery time' did a few adjustments and had a second attempt. " What were the adjustments you made after your first flight?

I pulled the balance point a bit further forwards and switched in the aileron to rudder mix @ 50%.............I also was on the sticks, ready for it, the second time.
I also made sure that it was flying fairly quickly most of the time, especially in the turns.
It seems perfectly benign on a straight glide into wind ie. when landing.
I've got a 10x6 prop to replace the 11x6..........it really doesn't need 450w and I reckon the 2200 cells are taking a bit of a hammering at 40+ Amps.
We'll see what happens next time..................................

• 4 weeks later...
.......................well, had 2 more flights this evening.
I pushed the balance point a bit further forwards again and have nearly arrived at the correct point. This plane seems fairly critical on the balance point - must be a combination of the forward sweep of the wings and the ultra narrow chord.
Experimented with the spoilerons and came to the conclusion that it don't need any 'down' mixing in ; it actually needs some 'up' ! Next flight should sort that out properly.
10 x 6 prop still provides more than enough oomph and is giving the battery an easier time. Might even drop to a 9 x 6 to see how that goes. Starting to feel a bit more at ease with this plane now, after the initial flight. It looks really good in the air and is a real 'moaner' on a glide past. Managed to deliberately provoke a tip stall on a crosswind turn ( at height ) - boy was that vicious ! At least now I know what it's nasty little vice is.
Starting to get to like this one.......................

Pleased to hear of your success Devon Flyer.
I have recently acquired the Fly Fly ASK21, (RAF colour scheme), which I should imagine will exhibit similar 'exciting' flying qualities.
Anyone seen one of these aloft?
I was intending to fit EP but a potential wing loading of 20oz/sq.ft at a 4lb AUW (Incl.EP & Flight Battery), I may just chuck it off the slope in a blow!
Keep posting with your DG100 flight report progress (and solutions/suggestions for the 'Pilots Notes'!)

Edited By Capt Kremen on 15/09/2011 22:22:42

• 1 year later...

Just started building this one - absolutely no instructiona at all, but should be able to figure it out - any issues ( apart from its flying manners which I know to be tricky ) regarding its assembly?

I have substituted the metal joiner with a nice solid 6mm C/F rod, I will use closed loop wire rudder controls. No power on this one, but fitting a tow release. I'm also gonna try and fit the electric Hobby King spoilers, although those supplied ( mechanical, red palstci ) are shorter.

Anyone done the retracting landing wheel and doors? Any issues there?

Finally WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE GREAT GLIDER PILOTS?

I have the "scale cockpit " but no pilots ;-(