Extra wot or not

Phil 9

If you have a 120 two stroke it will probably give you more enjoyment of the model, a 120 4 stroke, correctly propped will be OK too and more economical.

Sorry about this, I replied to the last post on the first page. It's an age thing you know

Edited By John Gibbs on 11/10/2011 13:19:43

Edited By John Gibbs on 11/10/2011 13:20:02

Run it in on the bench if you can if the instruction book was with it read it carefully.
I would run it in on straight castor based fuel, this is the only time I recommend using castor as it allows the working parts to bed in much more rapidly. After about half a dozen tank fulls go over to prosynth and use at least 5% nitro.
Get the hang of setting the carb up whilst running it in so you don't turn up to fly and end up faffing around with the engine.
Use an alloy spinner(3.25" or 82mm IIRC) as if you use a starter you will be pushing very hard on the spinner to get the engine turning.
With regard to props, use the largest diameter and smallest pitch recommended. I think 18x6 or 18x8 and take good care of it as they aren't cheap.
My two stroke is mounted at 45 degrees to the horizontal so the silencer passes between the u/c.
There's a load of folks out there who think super tigres are different from other two strokes. Read the manual, it's the best I've ever seen and the engine, if run in properly, will last for years and provide you with oodles of power, just remember they use much more fuel than smaller engines, I have a 24 ounce tank in my xtrawot.
With regard to safety treble everything you've read about small two strokes, these engines will remove fingers quite easily as they have a similar output to 50cc moped engines. Other than that they operate on the same principles as an os 10 LA so don't be in awe of it. One thing IIRC the prop driver is on a taper collet and the prop thread is 10mm (I think) don't be tempted to use a 12" shifter to tighten the nut as the prop driver is alloy and I have heard they can distort.
Good Luck!

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I thought I would add my little comment here.

Chris Foss kits are wonderful. They are fantastic to build and superb to fly. Every single one of them.

But they do come at a cost. Plus you must add on the additional costs like covering material and paint etc. A bit like a Mercedes car.....a wonderful car....but at a price.

ARTFs are very good value given the fact that they are an all inclusive cost. They are jig built, well covered, and easy to assemble. Plus they don't take 4 months to build.

I love all types of model aircraft. I have about 32 kits unbuilt. 12 ARTFs to assemble. 1000 plans. And 14 aircraft all ready to fly immediately. Plus I have 34 engines in their boxes awaiting airframes lol

I can see the argument that the Galaxy Mystic is MUCH cheaper than the XtraWOT. And I have the Mystic as a kit to build. BUT.....will it be as good as the XtraWOT when built?

Possibly. Possibly not. (Although I LOVE my Wizard and Magician)

For me, an ARTF is good because it is so quick to make flight ready. It takes me 4 months to do a good build from scratch, and 5 months to build from a plan (ie make the kit before the build commences)

Just my thoughts on the matter smiley