Wing Bandage

Dean

Hi all,

I have just about finished building one wing panel of my Sig four star 60 when i have completed the other and join them the instructions say to use a bandage and use CA on it.

Will this be strong enough? I Have also heard of people using PVA on the bandage.

Back when i first (and last) built a model i used some kind of fibreglass resin would this be stronger?

If it helps It is a 71" span and powered by an os .65LA

Cheers Dean

Edited By Dean on 08/09/2011 13:27:13

Advert

Are the wings foam Dean....? If so first point beware un-foam friendly Cyano.

Personally I don't like the idea of using cyano on a fibre glass bandage......I'm sure it will set pretty strong but it will be very hard & brittle & probably won't fill the weave of the tape very well.....

I would go for an epoxy resin for the wing bandage.....much better IMHO.....you can buy "kits" with enough resin/bandage from Flair amonst others see here

• 5 months later...
I'm approximately half way through my Cambrian Funfighter and have got to the wing bandage bit. Now- we have a few options in terms of what to attach the bandage with. TIA for any opinions! I've got a sneaky I should wait until I can use epoxy but it's going to delay things...

1) PVA
2) PolyC
3) Aerocote (not sure if it's foam friendly though!)
4) other easily available product (no model shop near here)
5) wait until I can get my mits on some proper epoxy via the post (but delay the build)

I'm going to be covering it in 0.6oz glass cloth and polyC but obviously that won't be strong enough...

ps The latest edition of RCM+E says (in "The Way we Were") that these have been resurrected (again) by PB Models. As far as I'm aware they're still available from the Cambrian Model company- at least this is who I bought mine from a month or so ago.... Ironically it was reading that 1992 edition (when it originally came out) that made me think "I must get round to buying them before they stop making them".... that dream came true a couple of months back when I finally got round to it!

1) PVA will take forever
2) PolyC will take forever and loads of coats
3) Aerocote (not sure if it's foam friendly though!) it will eat the foam and its not very strong
4) other easily available product (no model shop near here)
5) wait until I can get my mits on some proper epoxy via the post (but delay the build)

order today wait a day or 2 and do it saturday!! by the time your done, the poly c and PVa will have had enough coats and be set, so no time lost anyway

A tip if you intend covering with iron on film.
It doesn't adhere too well to polyester or epoxy resin bandage - it seems OK at first but comes tends to peel off very quickly. The answer is to cover the FG bandage with a single layer of masking tape before applying the covering film. Use wide tape but if it's not wide enough butt join any area that will be visible when the wings are on or overlap any part that's hidden.

just make sure that the wing bandage does not go outside the fuzz sides, i personally have only ever used a bandage 1", or 25mm wide, its there to reinforce the wing join, not the centre section, go outside the fuzz sides, and you will create a shear, i have used PVA, and glass, both gave good results, the PVA cures overnight, join the wings with 2 part epoxy, dont use PVA here, it depends on air to set, good tip about the masking tape, i use (used, dont do much building now) 2" with a small overlap,

I personally wouldn't use anything other than epoxy or polyester resin on a wing bandage....buy the "kit" linked in my earlier post & be happy.....just my view....

Oh & if you do use polyester resin (the sort Halfords sell as body repair kits) be aware that it eats foam.....it can be used, (indeed in t' early days it wor all we had before there 'ere new fangled epoxies were invented...) as long as you make sure the foam is all sealed away but you do need to be careful.....

I bought one of those kits Steve recomended me in his earlier post, found it easy to apply and fairly neat if a little smelly!!!

Didn't know that handy tip about using masking tape before I cover the wing, I will try that as I am Ready to cover the wings now. Thanks

Dean