Warwick flying site on the race course

Gaz Elliott

Advert

It's never been very busy when I've gone there, maybe 5 flyers at most though I've never tried it on a weekend.
Parking is in either of the main car parks, then hike across, that's where a wheeled trolley comes in handy. From the main car park cross the track then walk along the path to the left along the front of the caravan club, after about 100 yards look for a path going off to the right. Follow that towards the far side of the track and the flying area is on the left. From the club entrance just follow the path straight across the course until you see a rectangle of short grass on the left.

The flying site itself is a rectangle of good short grass maintained by the council. Watch out for the golf course, they don't like being overflown, and keep an eye out for dog-walkers etc. using the paths bordering the flying area, remember it is a public recreation area.

• 9 months later...

Thought I would restart this thread as it was on topic. New member of the forum and a fairly new Heli flyer desperately seeking a flying site. I live in south Birmingham but work in Leamington frequently so was searching the web for flying sites in and around Warwick when I found this post regarding the racecourse site.

I had a walk over there this evening and was hoping to find if any other flyers frequent the site and at what sort of times? I find it somewhat off putting that it is open to dog walkers/Joe public which is a little worrying for a new pilot on my own. I'd like to meet a few other flyers as I have found my way into the hobby on my own.
Would appreciate if anyone knows when the site gets used so I can try and pop along to meet a few people!
Many thanks
Craig

• 6 years later...

Have been desperately searching for a place to fly after my location of several years ended up being locked up, for various understandable reasons.

I’d heard about the racecourse but never really explored until last week; amazed to see decent cut diamond space in amongst long grass in the centre of the racecourse. Flew my Mig15 easily and plenty of space so looking to take my Freewing SU35 , grass short enough for its big wheels.

Hi Guys,

there a number of flyers that fly on the Racecourse site myself included. It is preferred these days due to noise that we only fly electric. Wednesdays and Sundays are supposed to be for gliders only but you can fly electric without problem. As it is a council approved site and a public place that is open to all, the proviso is you should be a member of the BMFA and have your certificate with you as the council are quite entitled to ask to see it. I have to say instances of this are very rare. Because it is open to all you do get people walking their dogs which they are quite entitled to do and the pathways are cut right at the edges of the patch, so care and caution has to be exercised for obvious reasons. The council mow the patch and they do keep it quite short. The patch is available all year round. This area in the middle of the Racecourse is part of the historic St Mary's Lands which technically belong to the people of Warwick, there is a plan to enhance the area and this can be seen on the friends of St Mary's Lands website. There should be no impact on the model flying patch.

Hi John fully respect and ecognise all your comments; I also read up on how the site got to where it was. Am a full member of BMFA ( given all the nonsense caused by irresponsible drone users and the consequences for us all), and I fly nothing but electric (edf at the moment and I don’t push it).

It’s been annoyingly breezy this summer but I will try and get down this weekend.

When do most people fly?

Popped down on Saturday and met a few of the lads there, really good bunch. Got the gist of hours, boundaries etc so will be down over next few weeks with one of my planes.

Was nice to fly my Freewing Mig15 even though it was breezy; so nice to have it landing on flat ground.

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking of taking up RC model flying again after a few years of lay off. I have been on to Warwick Council's website and cannot see anywhere where it say that we can't fly IC engines.

All I can find is (quote):-

"All models flown must be fitted with an appropriate silencer and operated in a manner which minimises the potential to cause noise nuisance. Flyers causing a noise nuisance to neighbouring residents may be asked to cease flying."

Have I missed something, or have the rules changed?

Roger

Hi Roger, you are quite correct that you can fly IC on the Racecourse. What I said was that there is a preference these days for electric models as we don't get the noise complaints from electric models. I fly electric at the Racecourse and I also fly IC at the Coventry and district model club CADMAC as a club member where we as the club fly off a field at Wolston. The club owns the field there. regards......John

Hi John, thank you so much for clearing that one up for me. My apologies for misinterpreting your information. I ask the question because I still have all my old IC equipment including 3 aircraft and thought that it would be wise to use this equipment to initially get back into the hobby before making the necessary investment needed for electric flight.

Thanks again.

Kind regards Roger