Turnigy 4000mAh Spektrum DX8 Intelligent Transmitter Pack

NigelH

Advert

The DX8 does have a LIPO setting.

For simplicity, here's what the manual says -

Press the roller to access NiMH or LiPo. The low voltage cutoff will default to
the recommended voltage for the battery type selected. The voltage cutoff can be adjusted from this screen, but normally the default cutoff of 6.4 volts for LiPo is recommended.

So, the DX8 will alert long before the LIPO decides to give up.

Edited By NigelH on 12/09/2011 11:51:25

Hi All

Just ordered one!

Was going to order a Spektrum one but as this is ALOT cheaper - worth a punt.

Will keep the NiMH as a backup.

Now, when do I change the settings - before or after swapping ??

James

I meant the PCM ( protection circuit module ).
I have had a few of these type of lipo packs in the past for my DX7, and actually performed surgery on them to remove the PCM - the last thing I want is for the PCM to decide the volts are low, ( when they actually are not ) and immediately and without any warning at all, shut down the pack completely.
Ask me how I know this is a bad idea
Id just set the DX8 to lipo mode in the Tx menu, and rely on the inbuilt alarm to tell me when the pack is getting low.
I dont need another PPOF to override my decision making on how to charge /discharge my cells TY.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/09/2011 13:14:55:
Mmmm, I think James point is that you can't do both at the same time! If you change the setting then you have to have the menu up so there has to be power to the system to do that. Should that power at that point be lipo or NiMH - or doesn't it matter?

BEB

It doesnt matter, all your doing is powering up in order to get at the LVC setting. Once done, then fit the corresponding battery type.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All

The nice Mr Pat delivered mine this morning.

Fitting is a doddle but you have to remove the bottom foam padding! Took a few seconds for me to realise.

Then into the systems menu and change battery type to lipo - won't let you do it before hand.

You can set the cut off voltage in that menu also!

So far so good, will test it more at the field on sunday, weather permitting but was working well with my msr in the lounge.

Ok thoughts on performance from Sunday's flying.

TX worked well and had no noticeable drop in voltage during the days flying! OK weather wasn't great but the TX was on for a fair bit - mainly as I forgot to turn it off a couple of times and the thing went mental to remind me that it had been inactive!

I also seemed to get better range on the tx also. I have a Parkzone T-28 on an AR6100e and can only fly so far before control is lost - have had a long walk on a couple of occasions now and will admit to pilot error on my part! But on Sunday i went beyond where I normally turn in, due to a dead stick landing being called and turned back in after a few seconds and had no loss of signal. I repeated and counted to 10 and still OK. Was tempted to go for a longer count but decided that safety was the better part experimentation and held off.

OK the count was fairly quick, so more likely a 5 second flight at half throttle beyond the normal range but still more range is always a good thing!

I will see how I get on over the next few weeks flying but guessing that the effect was due to the increased voltage providing a more stable output!

Noticed something similar on the DX6i the lower the battery charge the less range I had, also the quality of the batteries had an effect also! I started with 1500mha rechargeable bats and moved to 2100mha batteries later on and always had better performance and range from the higher capacity batteries.

I wonder if the tx's range is effected by available voltage, in the same way an electric motor looses power as the batteries voltage drops under load near the the end of their charge or a low c rating battery can only give so much current before failing.

If I get time, at the field, next time I'm there, I'll see the range difference between the two packs, using range check on the floor to avoid accidence and injury to others!

Could some of the brown outs we have been seeing be related to poor TX power source??

I cant really see how the battery type or volt level can affect the tx output power /range.
Irrespective of the power source used, the main circuitry will be run on a much reduced voltage via a regulator, probably of around 3v or so.
This regulator maintains a constant level as the main input voltage drops until such a time as the alarm sounds. Even then the tx will be getting its full required voltage, and outputting full power.
As to your closing para, receiver brown outs are not connected with transmitter reception in any way, they are solely down to low voltage to the receiver.