Greetings

I wish you luck trying to get a second hand one.

These are good planes and people do not tend to sell them.

Your best option is to order one now from Sloperacer and you might get it in October.

Their order book for the October shipment is filling up fast though.

Otherwise you would have to wait until their next shipment.

Savox 0255 are good servos and I have them in my Typhoon for all moving tail and rudder.

HS 5125's are reputed to give big problems regarding centering, and a fair proportion of them don't work from new.

Savox 0255's will go in the wings but Hyperion are better - 090 for the ailerons and 095 for the flaps, but Hyperions do not like 6v (I blew two) and need 4.8v.

Advert

Don't know about the Sunbird as I have not seem one fly.

It is smaller than the Typhoon, would not cope so well with that big sea air, and last summer Sloperacer were trying to "encourage" people to buy them.

You have to decide whether you want performance with a good flight envelope (range of wind speeds) or a "floater" for really poor air.

You will not get both in one model.

For really poor air I can recommend a DLG such as the Blaster.

I have one and whilst being great for poor lift, it does struggle to penetrate in anything above 15mph.

So, one model or two? - back to the drawing board and decision time?

You could always get an electric Typhoon!

Posted by Peewhit on 22/09/2011 20:42:12:
Don't know about the Sunbird as I have not seem one fly.

It is smaller than the Typhoon, would not cope so well with that big sea air, and last summer Sloperacer were trying to "encourage" people to buy them.

You have to decide whether you want performance with a good flight envelope (range of wind speeds) or a "floater" for really poor air.

You will not get both in one model.

For really poor air I can recommend a DLG such as the Blaster.

I have one and whilst being great for poor lift, it does struggle to penetrate in anything above 15mph.

So, one model or two? - back to the drawing board and decision time?

You could always get an electric Typhoon!

Yeah. Im going to have to hide one somewhere from the mrs it seems. Already have too many. Need to start chucking stuff away.

By poor air i mean lots of wind but no lift ie cold and damp air. With minimal slope lift. My local slope has not much vertical component and lots and lots of sink/bumps.

That blaster is WAY to nice to fly at my local slope. Seriously impressive video though.

Whats the speedo like in poor air? They are cheap. And light. Ive seen one fly in good air but not poor air.

Maybe i need to concentrate on the poor air for now, where i do most of my flying.

Still interested in a typhoon for when conditions are good. Fits the spec.

Looking for 2 models now. Summers over, winds are cold. Need something that is cheap( to chuck away) and flys in terrible lift. I think I'll get a speedo just to try it. It's light but sleek so may cope with the high wind poor lift combination at the local slope.

Tom knows, he hates the place and never flys there despite it being next door. But it's the local slope. The other option is 50 quid on petrol to drive somewhere decent. 50 quid on
A plane is a bargain.

Your requirements for machines to cater for differing conditions and locations seem as eclectic as mine.

Try a Dream Flight Weasel too - and an Alula. The performance of both has amazed me. Both are beautifully thought out and executed. Worth every penny of their modest prices.

Ro.

Posted by Slopeflyer on 23/09/2011 00:19:01:
Ro, I have a foamy, WIld Thing. One is enough for me

So how does your speedo like bumps and cold air?

WT is a (great) combat foam lump (I have a 60) - Weasel is a different story entirely. I shaved the mould release bumps on the wing panels and covered those with Oracover. She is fast in poor lift and a rocket in a blow with the carbon tube spar full of steel rod. See pics. Alula even flies the slope when the TX antenna ribbon is motionless.

My Speedo no.3 flat-packable version (built with the wing dihedral taken out, Vigor/Eugle 12M's all round, removable stab, 2 piece wing with additional carbon spar and joiner, ballast tube, LiPo, micro regulator, Hitec Minima RX) flies fine in anything, bar zero lift.

Ro.

Wind the clock back a year or so. With just a Wildthing 60 and a couple of dodgy Chinese glass fuz and balsa winged specials under my belt, I'd have gone for a Typhoon as my first mouldie rather than Luna - if one had been available and I'd known any better. And I should have known better 'cos I'd seen Pete's fly.

Did Roger mention something about dodgy Chinese glass fuz and balsa winged things?

Posted by Peewhit on 23/09/2011 16:13:53:

Did Roger mention something about dodgy Chinese glass fuz and balsa winged things?

Ha ha well spotted Peter. It's funny, I never consider Speed as one of those - they are just too good. The dodgy ones I meant were those JPerkins things with even dodgier names like 'Pretty' and 'Greensleeve'. Actually, they didn't even have GF fuselages, they were made of something like reconstituted stadium seating.

That said, they did the right job for low dosh, and got me back into fiddling, fettling and stick twiddling - even gave me a start with lekkie things.

Ro.