Two (nearly) successful maidens!

Friday was the perfect day to try out two new models:

Crescent Tornado - this was built from an ebay original '70s Crescent kit. Power is an OS 61 SF 12*10 APC prop, Weston UK manifold and Genesis quiet pipe set long. OK,strictly speaking it should have an earlier short stroke motor, but I have to try to keep the noise down. FrSky receiver, 3152 elevator and rudder servos, EPower 20gm units on aileron, Scanner retract servos (one for the wing and one for the nosewheel), 311HB throttle servo and Irvine retract units.
Flew a treat with two nudges of down trim and one of left, right up to touchdown at which point the legs spun in the retract bodies and it stopped sharpish.
New prop, straighten and tighten the gear, taxi out and the same again! I've now tried some epoxy on the right leg, filling the locating flat with it so that the grub screw has some filler around to provide a positive lock - I hope!

GWS Formosa II - as has been said elsewhere, not so much a kit, more a box of plastic from which a model can be built. However, once it goes together, it's a nice flyer.
BL2815 motor, Mantis 40 or 50A esc (can't remember as it was out of a crashed Easystreet), 3S 2600 GenMax lipos and Emax 12gm servos and the inevitable FrSky rx. Unfortunately the 9*7 folding prop I stuck on for trials detached itself on the first flight, disappearing into a ploughed field never to be seen again. I've now settled on a Graupner 10*6 IC prop that I had handy. A nice 380W on a full battery. All I can say is - why didn't I get one of these before?

One lesson learnt, don't park an electric model painted in acrylics behind your IC starting point - the blue acrylic is only now starting to harden again - what's left of it. Luckily the yellow is Solarlac.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 02/10/2011 15:47:41

Advert