Crashed & Survived......

Posted by Allan Bennett on 04/10/2011 13:52:37:
Posted by Martin Harris on 04/10/2011 11:06:35:

That was certainly my experience. I must say that I like the Sullivan clevises with their metal keepers in that respect. ...

Sooooo ... that's what those little circlippy things are in the Sullivan snake packs I've been using their snakes for years, but never realised what those little bits were for.

look back at my post where 3 out of 4 Sullivan clevis in a pack had loose pins that hadn't been rivetted or welded. I'm not confident that little clip would be half as good as 1/4" of fuel tubing slipped over them.

• 2 weeks later...
Well the big Wotty has flown again....without incident this time.

I checked it & checked it...had a coffee & checked it again.....did a range check to the far corner of the field......then another to the other corner at 90 degrees.....everything was perfect.

Ran up the motor & put the system into test mode (which cycles all the servos through their full movement) & left it to run for a few minutes.....nothing fell off or stopped working....

I had no more excuses....this bird had to fly....so with the fine words of encouragement from my flying mates (Just get it up there you big Jessie.......&.....Don't be such a big girls blouse) I strode manfully out to the patch......with a set jaw & clenched buttocks I watched as she accelerated down the stip & wafted into the air......a nice gentle flight of circuits & figure of eights ensued.......lovely!!

Back on the ground again everything seemed fine so the tank was refilled & a more enthusiastic flight took place....again no problems.

So that appears to be that....it seems that the elevator pushrod did come off in flight & cause the original crash......one thing I did notice during the test was there was quite a lot of vibration of the tailplane & elevator at full throttle which won't have helped the pushrod stay in place....I might investigate some bracing of the tailplane & see in this helps reduce the vibration.....

And just as a footnote it was wonderful to meet & welcome BEB to the SMAC site on Saturday......he tells me he's a bit of a flightline gypsy these days whilst his own club field is being worked on.....