ASP 180 Silencer

Bucksboy

Dear All,
We've got an ASP 180 4 stroke with the standard exhaust, its too noisy really so I'm worried to use it for fear of complaints. Just Engines sell Super Quiet exhausts for £30 odd and then even quieter for £50. Is there much difference between them? I'd like a second opinion from other users really, half of me says that the only difference between £30 and £50 is £20, worth paying to keep the site. The tight half of me says 'what if the £30 works well, you've just wasted £20'.
Its going to power a new Seagull Edge 540 so I'm edging toward the more expensive and hopefully quieter £50 exhaust. At least that way we can actually fly the plane rather than keep it grounded as its too noisy.

Has anybody got any experience of these exhausts please to help me make the decision?

Thanks

Bucks

Advert

Bucksboy,

I can't comment on the silencers for the ASP 180 having never owned one but I put one of Just Engines Q Silencers on my Thunder Tiger 91 in the "works" Senior Telemaster and it's very quiet, passing the 82dB test with ease. Mind you, the engine is also bolted to a Du Bro quiet mount.

I quite fancy a Super Quiet silencer but I believe they're better if you mount them remotely with a flexible pipe to the engine as they're quite a bit bigger and heavier than the standard silencer, therefore you'll have to add the cost of the flexible and a mounting kit to the £50 Super Quiet silencer.

Just Engines will advise.

Hope this helps.

Happy Landings