Scamp build

Tommy Soderstrom

When the latest RCM&E arrived I immediately fell in love with the two little 50cm dogfighters featured as a free plan in the magazine.
So, nicking a motor from a small sailplane and a couple of servos from an old Blu Baby and off we go...

I almost finished the wing before remembering to snap some photos.

Gluing a circular firewall to the straight side panels was a bit of a pain in the you know what. My hands and fingers are probably to big for building this plane.

Looking good though.

Finding a spray can with the correct diameter was not easy. When I finally found one that would fit someone had written their name on it. Wonder if anyone will notice this on the finished plane...?

Stringers.

One wonders what I have gotten myself into when seeing all the curvatures of the plane...

Notice the big fingers compared to the small fuselage of the plane.

Tail feathers.

Still looking good...

Motor and esc.

The engine dummy. A photo printed and laminated.

To be continued.
/Tommy

Advert

Nice build, I will be following it. I have the plans for these little babies and I think you've finally given me the motivation to get started again in this fascinating hobby. I gave it up some 10 years back after a house fire which resulted in me losing everything (including my interest) but my scrap box survived ! - Will it still be good after 10 years ? I think I have the stock in my scrap box to build at least one of these. I know nothing about electric power and the only thing that survived the fire was my old futaba 35meg transmitter which I assume is still good to use. Guess I have some forum reading to do.

Once again thanks. Nice build.

Alan

Looks great Tommy. I have the plans and a pile of scraps. I also have a suitable motor and some 5g servos. Your photos made me thing hmmm... and have a close look at the plans! I'll been keen to see any updates. Alan, if you're tempted it might be worth looking at cheap 2.4 radio. There are some real bargains around especially for the park flyer end of the market. For servos motor and speed controller check out giant cod (sorry I can't give you a link - I'm on an iPad and the forum won't allow it - but google will find them!)

Edited By Graham Culver on 09/10/2011 21:29:15

Thanx for your comments.
A small update:

A 6 gram aileron servo underneath the wing.

More formers for the upper deck.

The first try to make the upper deck, gave it up, c__p...

The second attempt, wet balsa wrapped around a plastic tube. Put it in the microwave in 10 second intervals and it will dry up in a few minutes.

I guess the rubber bands were too hard.
Sanding, checking, sanding, checking, sanding and checking...

Gluing, drying, drying, drying...

This is not according to the build instruction but my own way of building the fuselage. Let's hope this way will work too.

/Tommy

Going well. I'm building a Tony Nijhuis 62.5 Spirtfire at the moment, but fancy something smaller to use up scraps... and to get on with while I'm scratching my head over bits of the larger build!

Your pictures are great. I spent some time looking at the plans for the Scamp last night. I have a blue wonder, a 10a esc and a few 5g servos lying around so watch this space. I did wonder looking at it last night about modifying it and building a biplane. I might drop the wing and build a second to sit above the fuselage. It would be a kind of stand off Sopwith pup. We will see. and thanks for the posts. I'm watching with interest.

Thanx Shane!
If I get someone to hold the camera, there will be a video of the maiden.

The Scamp is slowly coming together.

Slots for the pushrods. I wanted to get these in place before covering the fuselage but that was kind of tricky. I ended up temporarily mounting the servos and tail feathers with tape to get the slots in the correct position.

Half way. I decided to cover the fuselage in 2 sections.

And the forward part also finished.

The tail feathers glued in place and the wing temporarily mounted. Note that only one aileron is in place so far to be able to slide the wing in place.

/Tommy

I think I misunderstood something in the instructions about where to put the battery...

The wing is glued, the aileron servo is glued, the second aileron is taped in place and the undercarriage has got more legs.

Now were talking! With everything in the plane including a 500mAh 2S LiPo, minus some balsa floor, it weigh 170 gram and the CG seems to be correct as well.

Still some minor problems to work out, like the receiver didn't fit where I planned to mount it. Bending the connections could be one way to go.

/Tommy

With a little bit of violence, finally the receiver fit under the wing...

The underside finished with two hatches for future servo service.

A horn in the tail...

Measured the motor with my e-logger, the battery was not fully charged and I wasn't able to fit the rpm sensor. Will try again with a fully charged battery.

/Tommy

Edited By Tommy Soderstrom on 21/10/2011 20:34:33

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...