Does not happen every day - thankfully!

I just had to make use of the beautiful fly weather today so out came my earliest Depron wing on my trusty Wing Dragon fuselage for no reason other than I had not used it for some time and I wanted to see if it was as nice to fly as I remember.
With its generous area, 12% t/c ratio and light weight it is just so docile along with a ridiculously low sink rate, I even found a bit of a thermal!
After 10 minutes of this I thought I would try a 'speed' low pass - at a breakneck 20mph!
Into a shallow dive and bang! the LH aileron separated. Not completely but the skins de-laminated.
Nothing fell off as the top skin stayed attached to the hinge and the bottom skin remained attached to the servo link.
However the bottom skin was the problem as it flailed about making directional control rather difficult, nevertheless it got down ok with rather an untidy landing which was no problem for the robust WD.

It will mend easily but even a "gentle" flight can keep you on your toes!

Advert

Ah, sometimes its good to be "boring" - just having a relaxing "pottle about" in the sky.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy a challenge from my Pitts, Tiggie or some other "handful" of a model that need 100% co-ordination and 150% concentration! But as I say, sometimes its nice to just "watch" as it were.

BEB

PS Must be my age!

Fly boy3
Some people have used a peaked cap but mine is fixed on a head torch mounting.
As I only have one eye it is easy for me to make use of the final refinement - a ring sight.
I bent the wire until the ring was in the centre of the camera's field of view. Keep the plane in the ring and it will be in the centre of the frame.
It is surprisingly difficult to maintain as I found the lower I flew the more I tended to look ahead of where the plane actually was. A quite sensible habit I suppose but not good for a head cam!