Slec fuel tanks

Phil  Claridge

Advert

I had isues with my Slec tank in my Acrowot Phil, the clunk during aeros would bend round and get trapped in a top corner, cutting the engine.

Changed to a Kaven tank and had no problems in the last 6 months.

I tried different flexi tubing and adjusted the length a tad but still no joy. The replacement tank cost little and provided an instant fix.

David 

I suspect this is the problem I've got on my flair Hooligan, ran fine until it took on an oak tree (which lost, incidentaly).  Now it will only run half a tank through, and then only if the nose is level, not really how a Hooli should be flown, is it?  I'm tempted to dig the slec tank out and replace it with the original round bottle type tank.  Just means removing the switch mounting plate which is glued in across the fuselage.  As you said David, I've shaken it like mad, done everything short of swinging it round my head by the prop but it still won't come free.

Timbo.read hero,went flying today only took acro,flew perfect last week,everyone a greaser(modest as well)today could not get the bu**er to run,squirt in carb ,would run on that,then die,knew it was tank prob.but believed i was not destined to fly today so came home,will take it out sat.and do Timbo,s mod

I tend to steer clear of round tanks now Bob, they tend to twist and do funny things from the sunken breather pipes at fill up time..i.e tell you the tank is full when it's only 1/2 really and everthing goes quiet about 5 minutes before it should in the air..!

That's why I have rectangular ones now with nice rounded corners..stays upright but the clunk can't get trapped anywhere....(yet...!)

Sailor, I'm sure you would have heard it rattling differently if the clunk had come adrift, but it sounds like your fuel pick up line is sticking out horizontal mate..!

Best just prop hang it.

round tanks - tape a length of 1/2 or 3/4 " triangular balsa to the tank, it won't twist.  I've even made triangular notches in the formers to match the triangular section - never had a problem with a round tank and fuel feeds, unlike SLEC squares.  I can't help wondering whether that's because the SLEC clunks are just too long?

• 2 months later...

I've just had a problem with my Evolution 46 in a Tutor 40.  Inadvisedly, as it would now appear, I lengthened the fuel tube to give a smoother run and less risk of a kink.  From that time on it gradually ran less reliably until, in the end, I couldn't get full throttle to hold for more than 15 seconds before it died.  An old hand in the shop said the run was too long and shortening was like a miracle cure but why did it gradually get worse?  He says he doesn't trust the plastic bung pipes and that i should fit brass ones - with a different tank if the bung is not compatible.  On the way through trying to solve this problem someone suggested trying the engine with the tank above the fuselage - I did and everything was fine.  The tank problem was obviously only there when drawing the fuel "uphill".

Any ideas on this one?

Pete