Matador

Chris and Chris,

i just wonder whether with silencers fitted the diesels are going to be tricky to start as choking the engines will mean that some of the fuel will escape from the air intake and you cannot squirt fuel directly into the cylinder? I can see you guys having to start the motors with the planes inverted.

One of the only engines I remember with the air intake located ideally for the engine to be inverted was the DC Manxman, but of course at 3.5cc was too large for the Matador but ideal for a KK Southerner.

Mike

Steve the plan is to always have both power sorces possible, hopefully with a quick change option..

Mike I'm taking the easy option and mounting my diesel upright. I know that wastes all the space designed to take the engine, and means the cowl/bonnet will have to be cut to accommodate it, but I think it will just be more practical. Oh and I have no silencer...

Chris,

Test flight looks imminent to me regardless of the power source?

All three of my 9.6 volt batteries failed after a few seconds on a 10/ 15 amp test on my Matador. I think the fast charge setting on the charger is at fault or I need to trickle charge the batteries first. I was hopeful of another flight test today but no such luck.

Mike

Chris,

I have re-located my ESC to the lower hatch within the cowling in front of the battery compartment where it will recieve plenty of cooling air as below:

Matador ESC.

After a 5 hour trickle charge one of my 9.6 volt batteries operated OK in the Matador. It could be the batteries all need conditioning but I suspect my charger is faulty on 'fast charge', but how can one tell?

Mike

er.. how come you always spot my next issue just before it's solved?

I have marked some small drill holes through both the fus and the pod firewalls. I hope to fix dowels in these locations in the fus, then drill down through from above so I can drop pegs or "R" clips through the dowels.

My doubt with this, is whether it will clamp the diesel version enough against vibration, so the other option is to install T nuts behind the fus firewall. Here though, getting bolts in from the front could prove fiddly...

Yet to decide..

How did that happen? Imagine my surprise after a weekend at our fly in, where maidens aren't allowed, I find myself driving back to the airfield with Matty in the back.

Maiden is over and it could not have gone better. I got to the strip surprised to see another member there. By the time I had stopped walking, two other members were on their way over.

So, after a little discussion about tail incidence and how to proceed, we decided on 1/3 throttle and a gentle hand launch (thanks Pete) whereupon Matty gently climbed away with no input from me whatsoever. Elevator was not touched for the first five minutes, just gentle nudges of rudder to take her where I wanted. Full throttle gave quite a steep climb, motor off gave a nice gentle glide.

Two flights were completed, one around ten mins and the other was about six, both from the same battery charge. I'll see what I can get back in the battery later.

Just as proof, and not as a photo comp entry..

Matty weighs an astonishing 1lb 7-1/2oz all up ready to fly. That leaves me plenty of headroom to add decals and Clearcoat. (Oh and a motor cover that I promise I will build...)

Tonight's 16 minutes took 740mAh from my 1300 3S battery so good long flights are possible. Especially as a 2200 will easily go in... teeth 2 Big grins all round here at the mo, and that odd feeling that something is going to go wrong because it's gone too well!

Chris,

Most odd the rigging angle situation,but obviously at some time my model did operate with the same angles. Assuming 'there is no smoke without fire' for some reason Ben Buckle have made the comment on the plan about rigging angles and I can only assume other modellers have had problems?

I must admit the strategy of 'building light' obviously pays off with the Matador and I suppose I can save a lot of weight on mine by introducing a Lipo battery.

Did you retain the Ben Buckle C/G location---33%?

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike

Going by my observation and experience over the years rather than any proper knowledge, I think it's purely down to weight.
Mine must be nearer the weight of a free flight example and therefore flies very slowly indeed. I'm assuming that when flying slowly the the tail needs more of an angle to produce the downforce required.

When I fly faster, she certainly put her nose up, so if she had to fly faster if I made her heavier, then I recon I'd have to reduce the tail incidence.. I think!

Yes C/G is as shown on the plan. I assume this is 33%