1/2A Engine Mounts

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator

Having been enthused to build a Sharkface by a picture on Lee Damms Matador thread & then kindly sent the plan by Big Bandit Chris I find I have a problem...

I have decided to use my old DC Wasp but I can't find a suitable engine mount....I find there are two sizes....too big & too small. SLEC do an 049 mount but it is 15mm between bearers & I need a max of 20mm. Their 09 mount is 24mm between bearers & as you will appreciate there isn't much room for error here.

No one else seems to offer a suitable mount for these dinky but cute motors....yes I could buy a smaller mount & modify it but I wondered if anyone might know a suitable source.....

Advert

Hello Steve . I have just had the same problem problem mounting a Cox TeeDee. I used the Slec mount 15mm jobbie and cut the back in half then mounted the engine on it being careful to keep the rear mount in line and then fitted to the firewall in the usual way .Funnily I toyed with the idea of fitting a DC wasp but went for the cox .

Indeed it did Bob.....a Cox mounted to a bit of ally sheet (18SWG I think) with a lug either side for the rubber bands to loop around.....when I first looked at the plan I couldn't understand what the 3/16" dowel just behind the firewall was for........

@ ED....yep I think thats what I'll end up doing too but I thought I would ask.....it makes me wonder what sort of 12/A engine SLEC had in mind when they designed their mount....they don't come much smaller than a DC Wasp after all!!!

Hi Steve, glad you're going with Sharky. I may be able to help re engine mount, I've just cast a rough crankcase using the lost foam technique and whilst not pretty it shows possibilities. Failing that I could have a go at hogging one out of solid. The crankcase below was made using ali from a GM cylinder head.

And Sharky does fly

Lee

Thanks for the offer Lee.....I've just bought a 1/2A SLEC mount which I'm going to cut in half....should be just fine I think....

I'm going to run up my two 049 engines (a Cox & a DC Wasp) before going on with the build...just to make sure they are OK.....the DC Wasp is my motor of choice but it hasn't been run for years....in fact its so old the writing on the crankcase is in Latin.....so I want to make sure it will still turn a 6x4 at speed before pressing ahead...

No probs Steve, going to start the furnace up tomorrow night so I'll let you know how the embryo mounts turn out, just finished glueing the foam bits together you never know they may come in handy. The firewall size will be 1.1/2x1.3/4 same as sharky's I'll leave them as rough cast until required then lightening holes /machining can be carried out as necessary