J3 machined hubs

Martin,
I like the hubs you have made. I have been tinkering with a braking system based on disk brake fitted to a 1/8 monster truck. Operation is via a cam. Braking effect is very high and tends to grab rather than have smooth action.
Causes nose- over every time. I have been sketching up some parts to try hydraulics but have made no serious attempts to date. Do you have any advice please?
Gordon

Advert

Gordon,

The picture you've found is of my dummy brakes which are fitted into the H9 plastic hubs. Equally as spooky as the previous thread is the fact that I've been mentally considering the possibility of making some working brakes to add to the new hubs when I make them!

Very much pie in the sky at this stage but my thoughts were also along the lines of a hydraulic system but stalled when I started considering master cylinder and caliper seals at 1/4 scale sizes.

I also saw *this when I was thinking about them which may be useful and also these which could be incorporated into hubs but didn't get any further as it was working out a bit expensive for a "nice to have" - especially while trying to maintain a reasonably scale appearance (my chosen subject has the disc conversion).

...although you've got me thinking again!

*I suspect this uses stored air pressure as the braking force via the Festo type connector and transmitted to the brakes hydraulically - what do you think?

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/11/2011 00:23:29