Foam gliders from the 70s

Ian Simpkin

Hello, a question that's been driving me mad....

Does anyone know the name of the small foam gliders that were sold in model shops in the 70s/80s?

They were sold in a plastic bag. They were made in the USA and were moulded in blue & yellow foam. A red plastic clip joined the wings together & held them onto the fuselage.

The plastic bag had trimming details & the current duration record for the model.

Any info plus are they still available thanks Ian.

Advert

Thanks for the link. I will look into it after I have cleaned up a used teabag that my kitten has destroyed. How can one T-bag make SO much mess??

I thought that the North Pacific reply was the answer: unfortunately not. They appear to only make the balsa version.

By the way, the flight performance of these 70s gliders was amazing. Far better the any of the ones me and my brother made, eg Keil Kraft Dolphin. Thanks for all your replies.

The plastic bags they came in were mostly yellow, I believe. I think the duration record was about 1min 50ish secs....

No, sorry, it wasn't a Sky Rider. Nor a Chuckie either. I used to buy mine at the well-stocked Model Shop on Railway Street Nelson Lancashire.

Over the years I must of spent a small fortune there. The owner would always be pleased to open the box of any kit to reveal its contents. Nothing was too much trouble, and as a result most of my pocket money was spent there.

Far better service than the last model shop I visited: the proprietor was just interested in fobbing me off & shifting stock. According to him any R/C model could be flow 2-channel, you just had to tape up the spare control surfaces....   

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Ian,

See if this looks familiar.

Sky Flyer

The Sky Flyer appears to have been a foam version of North Pacific's Sleek Streek. This makes me suspect they did more than just one foam version of their line. A foam glider would likely have been a copy of the Strato or the Stunt Flyer. Your description of the packaging certainly sounds the North Pacific style.

I realize this is a bit speculative, but I hope it helps.

A small correction, the Sleek Streek wings were 1/32, not 1/16.

I still have at least 3 complete ones and parts from a few more. I did the wing trimming as well. Also learned to glue in the tail feathers or they fell out every flight after a while. I've also done the modified version as per the Bill Warner articles/book. I've got a double size version under construction with plans for one with a built up wing and tail, if I ever get all the other half built stuff finished.

A minor mistake, Eric. Nothing approaching foot in mouth severity.

I don't think they're being made anymore. Guillow's took over producing them for a while after North Pacific went out of business, but I think they've stopped as well. They are not listed on the Guillow's site. If you wish to make your own, you can find scans at the link below. You're on your own substituting for the wing clip though. Easy enough to make a solid or sliding mount. The links for the 'Hey Kid' articles no longer work.

Sleek Streek thread

FYI, I'm Bargle over there.

• 1 year later...
Finally, something to add.

I got an inquiry from another North Pacific collector  about a moulded foam glider called the Chuck'R. A bit of searching turned up the name as being attached to the original North Pacific patent for what was eventually put out as the Strato. I wouldn't be surprised if they later resurrected the name for a foam version of either the Strato or the Stunt Flyer gliders. The similarity ot David's memory of Chuckie as the name makes me think it's likely.
Can anyone confirm if this hypothesis is correct?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
I know, at this point probably no one cares besides me, but I hate to leave a mystery unsolved. I think I finally solved Ian's question. It was called a 'Drifter'. Similar to the 'Chuck'r' I posted earlier. Notice the colours match Ian's description, which the ones of the Chuck'r don't.

• 8 months later...
I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply to all of your answers. I have an appalling memory owing to the tablets (morphine) for my chronic back pain after an injury.
Yes!! It is the one in the last photo.
Thank you SO MUCH, Ian!!!