JR XG8

Piper Cub

Recently bought this radio. Wanted the black version but the UK importer apparently has no plans to bring it in so I was told.

The look and feel of this radio is very impressive imo. It fits neatly in the hands although I intend to use a tray with it.

The manual is very comprehensive but in places the printing is hard to read even with my reading glasses on. Perhaps I should take another trip to the opticians!?

Lots of switches and a couple of sliders on each side are all to hand nicely.

The radio comes with a tiny 8 channel receiver and telemetary module. And, if you send off the enclosed card before the end of the year, you get another receiver absolutely free (although Im not sure if another telemetary module is included).

That's a great deal and goes a little way to capping the disappointment of no rx battery or switch harness being provided. There is another MacGregor booklet with the radio which says these items are included in the basic set up but when i spoke to them recently, they said no they dont include the rx battery and harness as standard.

Im looking forward to usin this radio but first, I need to study the manual!

Advert

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Barry Vernon on 14/01/2012 16:02:13:
thought the xg8 was supplied with LiFe battery.
this was part of the initial interest for me

All adverts ive seen for this combi includes the battery
so i am surprised it was nit supplied. how much did you pay for it and who was the supplier if you dont mind me asking?

The Tx is supplied with the LiFe battery. It is not supplied with an Rx battery. I guess this is because they assume you may be using the radio for electric flight which will normally use the flight pack to power the Rx!?

I bought it from Slough RC. Price wise I think it was around the £340 mark. But, before the new year McGregor had an offer on of a free RG831 Rx with telemetry module. This is worth about £76.

So for the price of around £340, I got the Tx and 2 Rx's, LiFe and charger. The set came without servos at that price.

HTH.

• 2 months later...

Is there room in the market for another format? Although the JR DMSS system seems quite good why would you choose this over the more popular Specktrum systems now they have DSMX?

I have had mainly JR gear over the years but not am looking at switching to 2.4GHz and the market seems very confusing with multiple incompatible standards! This is compounded by trying to decide if telemetry is important and if so what are the key points to monitor as this can affect the final system of choice. For example monitoring the Li-Po pack voltage for electric models seems a good idea but some make this simpler and cheaper than others. For example the Hitec A9 receivers have a direct connection to monitor this voltage but the Spektrum systems need the telemetry module and cable to be able to monitor this. The JR XG8 has no add on to be able to monitor this so far so seems a poor state for such a new system? In fact if this was available as standard, as with the Hitec A9 I would probably stick with JR and get an XG8!

Posted by XMB on 18/03/2012 10:28:58:

Is there room in the market for another format? Although the JR DMSS system seems quite good why would you choose this over the more popular Specktrum systems now they have DSMX?

If Spektrum/Horizon had allowed JR to use DSMX on a worldwide basis then they might not have introduced their own DMSS system, but to keep in the market they needed to do something.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a TX and 4 receivers and although I think it's great I have to agree the manual is just about useless. I can't understand why a company like JR who have been making rc gear for years still can't produce a decent manual. I'm still having problems trying to set flaperons on this thing. it's very frustating and time consuming. Arh*****************!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 months later...

**URGENT**

I think I have found a fault with this Tx!!

Could anyone replicate it for me?

Choose a blank model, and name it to anything “TEST” etc…save a few parameters, like expo, rates, heli or aero – it does not matter what, as long as it’s not the defaults.

Leave the Tx switched on UNTIL the battery runs out.

Now, recharge the battery, and power on the Tx.

Where has the model gone?? – I’ve done this twice now and had to reprogram some models back in…

Edited By Stevo on 09/04/2013 14:33:02