.15 trainer

Advert

If you're up for a search through the plan catalogue the Redskin is an attractive looking tail dragger that should fly well on a 15 and behave in a trainer-ish fashion (although it's not four channel).

Most trainers use trike undercarriages, which tend to be more forgiving of abrupt landings, but there's no rule that says you can't learn on a tail dragger.

Building from a plan (or kit) would make it easier for you to start with three channels (Throttle, Rudder, Elevator), then (with your newly aquired building experience) add ailerons later on - either by modifying the wing, or building a new wing.

Hope this helps

Alistair

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have the plans for other models in the size range you would like - KK Outlaw - very similar to the Bushwacker already mentioned on this thread. Kamco Kadett which has trike undercart and a Junior Telemaster.

If you would like a more scale like aircraft I also have a plan for a Cub designed for this size of engine.

I would be happy to send a copy of any of these at cost of reproduction plus postage if you like.

Email me via the forum if you want more details.

Malcolm

• 4 weeks later...
I think that Bushwacker should be a good model. However I take issue with a couple of points:

1) the apparently exclusive use of cyano adhesive - IMO PVA or Aliphatic glues are better for this sort of model.

2) the shear webs have the grain running in the wrong direction - for maximum strength and stiffness, the grain on these should be vertical i.e at right angles to the spars

Malcolm is spot on, the shear webs are supposed to prevent the ribs all shearing when the wing is flexed up or down, i.e. keeping the top and bottom spars aligned relative to each other. With the grain horizontal to the spars, the main strength of the shear webs is between the ribs along the span of the wing, not between the spars, and is really good at stopping the wing being squashed from it's end, but not very good at preventing it from flexing - maybe this is just the way Alex Wh flies ;).

Fleming's left hand rule, which applies to electricity and electromagnetism, works quite well when applied to the grain of wood in wings.

Hold your left (or right...grain doesn't have a north pole) hand out, with index finger pointing forwards, middle finger pointing across your body, and thumb pointing up.

Confucius say, if grain of wood in wing matches all three directions, wing will be strong as mules kick.

i.e. index finger - grain of ribs (fore-aft along chord), middle finger - grain of spars (span wise), thumb - grain of webs (up and down relative to span and chord).

AlistairT
PS - My Physics teacher would be so proud...