Crane Fly Trainer Autogyro

Tom Wright  2

Advert

I have just had a final weigh-in and seem to be on the right side for a change!

Ready to fly with no LiPO mine weighs 631g (22.2 oz) and with a 3S 1800, 787g (27.2 oz). The hang angle is spot on with the LiPO about a 1 cm off the rear bulkhead.

So - nothing holding me back now from some visits to the field at the end of the week. Fingers crossed for a light breeze and just for a change - please, no rain.

Peter

The new Crane Fly build with single head function is coming along well. Todays activities saw the removable u/c made and fitted ,along with the servo roll mount ,push rods, and delta plate .

The HK blades were wedged with the left over half wedges from the Auto - G . and quick try in the garden had the blades spinning up very smoothly ,which was encouraging .The projected AUW of 18 oz is also looking possible.

Just got the tail / rudder to make ,fit the motor , hoping I have got an esc spare , and sorting out elevator servo ,should see the model ready for a try.

Tom.

Single Function Head Crane Fly .

The Maiden of this model today ,confirmed that this was the the easiest Autogyro to build and fly, I have come across yet.

Roll and pitch are well balanced , with any tendency for edginess in roll eliminated .Turns were near flat with little nose drop . Directional and pitch control during the approach and landing phase, required no special skills ,and touch downs at near zero ground speed proved easy.

The head is a simple hinge with an operating arm and could be made from any number of scrap materials . Only one small metal geared servo is used for rotor roll control ,which saves weight building time and cost .The elevator is operated via a standard 9 gm servo .

Surprisingly the little 3" 0.8 mm delta flapping plate seems to be spot on when.......

.....using the HK C-30 blades . The GS blue wonder bearing housing works a treat and only costs about £1 plus a couple of low cost flange bearings

For those who want to build this one , it's simply a standard Crane Fly airframe with a different tail and shorter mast raked back eight degrees , the rake back is simply done by adjusting the back stay length .

The single roll servo installation just requires an extra former .

The maiden was straight off the board with no adjustments needed , and in less than ideal weather conditions, so first impressions are certainly very good ,can't wait to fly again in better conditions.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 06/12/2012 16:24:28

Single funtion head Crane Fly.

Side view of the the simple head ,bearing ,and delta plate.This one was knocked up very quickly for a try out . I am quite sure most could build a neater one . I effect it's just a bolt through a sleeve or long nut through mast, with a block of spruce to carry the roll arm, and rotor bolt ,scrap GF is used for reinforcing . This and similar ways have proved to very robust , and can easily be made to avoid free play .

Tom.

Single function head Crane Fly .

Sorry about bad photo. The arm that has the ball joints each end is 95 mm long measured from the ball joint centres. This long arm seems to account for the smooth roll control , noted on the maiden flight today.

2mm piano wire works well softer wire options should be avoided. The arm shown has a plastic sleeve , which is not nesassary .

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 06/12/2012 20:10:51

Tom

Fantastic, excellent work this must be the birth of a unique autogyro trainer (the Super Sixty of the wirlley birds) It looks right as if it wants to fly, thanks for the super photos all printed up A4 size. Will have to start ordering all the bits & pieces now.

Max

Single function head Crane Fly.

Here is a very strong way of producing the single function control components from off cuts .

Double up the spruce mast top as shown.

Prepare the spruce top arm with two GF pads and 3mm rotor bolt hole as shown

Bind 2mm ID brass tube to top arm .

Bend two pieces of 2mm piano wire into L shapes .Make a grove at the front and back of the mast and tack glue one in to place.

Slide the brass tube over the first L shape wire,then tack glue the other L shape wire into place after sliding into the other end of the brass tube.

Bind the top of the mast with thread and cyno as shown.

Let cyno cure then add another coat.( or use epoxy).

Note a longer 3mm rotor bolt will be needed ,as the one shown is all I had to hand.

The 2 mm 95 mm long piano wire rocker arm can now be located in the GF pad hole and secured with cyno . Note the rocker arm is not shown on the photo above .

See previous page for model details.

Any questions ?

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 07/12/2012 03:57:03

Ready to bolt on the delta plate ,(note photo still showing the short rotor bolt ) a 3 mm x 40 mm bolt will be required , or a threaded bell motor shaft could be adapted . Extra GF pads could be used to further beef up the rotor bolt hole .

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 07/12/2012 04:49:31

message for the CEO of Wright Aviation.......well done tom for the fixed rotor version.......you are given people loads of option's in the build/ fly...dept.......up here in the north east of the colony we are having major prob's with the weather........every time i look at the crane fly...its saying no way for it's maiden yet........ teeth 2 .....

ken anderson........ne...1...cold front dept...

Thanks Ken . The weather here in Sherwood Forest is now dreadful , It was good luck to get a" window " yesterday , otherwise the single head version would also be refusing to go to the field. lol.

I must say the simple head version could be perfect for first timers who struggle with the two way head.It also solves the problem of getting HK heads that are still out of stock.

Wind blown and cold .

Tom.

Tom I hope to get some air time Sunday with the gyro. It has been in the hanger since I saw you due to the weather and my degree needing every minute of the day. Thankfully it has now been submitted and I can get on with the serious stuff.....flying. fingers crossed for a light wind in the morning.!!