Vintage aero-tow combo.

There I was, just settling into a glass of wine and I had a bit of a thought. How about a vintage glider/tug combo? I'm thinking of something like a Keil Kraft Caprice or a Chief, or something of that ilk. I would need a tug pilot willing to build a suitably vintage tug plane (it would be nice to have a matched pair from the same designer and finished in matching colours).
Anyone interested? At the moment it's nothing more than a vague idea - I am already involved in building a Coquette and I have a queue of other models needing my attention so it may not happen at all. Plus I've never tried aerotowing - but how hard can it be??
If anyone is interested - either in the idea in general, or in joining me as my wingman, let me know.
Jim

Advert

Thanks Olly, that certainly looks interesting. Replikit do a number of laser cut kits for various KK soarers, including the Chief. If I get the Coquette finished reasonably soon I may be tempted to have a crack at the Chief.
Jim

I will be taking the "works" Senior Telemaster to Greenacres. It is equipped with a glider tow release and powered by a 91 four-stroke.

If you build a vintage glider I'll tow you up!

Erm, yes I was thinking of something a little more vintage than an EasyGlider! The Telemaster sounds like a belting idea though! If I can get myself organised I'll aim to build the KK Chief and let you know how I get on.

Thinking about it, David - if you have used the Telemaster for towing previously, what size glider did you use? If I am going to build one I might as well build one as large as possible.

Er.... I've not actually towed anything with the STM, or with anything else for that matter, however, I have the release mechanism installed and I have plenty of time before Greenacres to fit the tail wires which prevent the the tow line from becoming entangled in the rudder and to get some practise in with other people's gliders.

As for the size of the glider, many of those vintage designs like the Keil Kraft Chief for example, were built to A2 specification and were only supposed to weigh 14.5 ounces. I expect the 91 should be able to manage that.

There was also a glider made by Mercury which featured a very long nose which should make it easier to get the balance point right. Can't remember the name at the moment.

Edited By David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 07/01/2012 07:13:06

Mercury Marauder.

I found it on the Replikit website. I believe that they are not trading any more but you should be able to get a plan from somewhere.

Posted by David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 07/01/2012 07:15:49:
Mercury Marauder.

I found it on the Replikit website. I believe that they are not trading any more but you should be able to get a plan from somewhere.

Colin Smith is carrying on Phil's plan service and Mercury plans were listed among them. They also included formers and rib patterns where these were not on original plan.
He will also scale up and down if req'd.

Colin has an email address but I cannot pin it down so here is his mobile - evenings only - 07747722724.

John

Edited By John Laird on 07/01/2012 11:11:27