Luna II setup with DX8

Yes, that seems to be your problem and is why only one aileron is working.

Set the wing type to "flaperon" and the ailerons will operate as both ailerons and flaps.

Then change mix 2 from throttle > aileron to throttle > flap (may be called flaperon) and the throttle should then move both ailerons in the same direction (hopefully up).

No movement less than half way back on the throttle will probably be due to the offset value in the throttle to ........ mixes.
Offset value changes the neutral point of the throttle stick and with an offset of zero, the neutral point will be with the stick in the middle which is why you are only getting movement from half way.

Try changing the offset value until the movement starts from where you want it to and set the same offset value for mixes 1 and 2.

Then we can look at full span aileron, reflex and camber.

Advert

Hm, I've got myself in to a right muddle so I'll give it a break for today. I've tried swapping rx slots and wing type but no joy - no matter what I do only one flap responds to full span aileron mix, either the right or the left one depending on what's connected where.
I guess I can live without the FS ailerons if it continues to be problematic, at least I can get the CROW on to the stick.

I'll give it another bash tomorrow with a fresh brain - thanks again chaps for all the help

Pete,

Do not despair.

I have just had a quick look at the DX8 manual and it is pretty useless.

Basically, the DX8 seems to be a hybrid of the DX7 and DX9.
It is very similar in programming to the DX7 and has a few added very useful bits.

Your first problem is the 4 servo wing type that you have selected.
Yes, you do have a four servo wing, but the whole basis of the program is that the ailerons act as flaperons (ailerons and flaps), so go back into System Setup and change the wing type to "flaperon".

Then servo connections are as follows:-
Right aileron to AIL
Left aileron to AUX1
Right flap to GEAR
Left flap to THROTTLE

After that, we can look at the mixes.

The first task is to link both flaps together so a mix of GEAR (right flap) to THROTTLE (left flap) with settings of 100%, 100%.
On this mix it is essential to activate the trim include function so change the trim on this mix from the default of Inh to Act.

For crow braking

One mix for throttle > elevator for crow elevator compensation. Rates are 0%up and whatever you need for down.
Try an offset value of +90%.

Go into Flap System and change from Inh to Flap. This will give camber and reflex control from the 3 position flap switch.

One mix of throttle > flap which will move the ailerons which are set up as flaperons.

The left flap is in the throttle channel and therefore driven directly from the throttle stick and as throttle (right flap) is already linked to gear (left flap), both flaps will move.

For full span ailerons

One mix of aileron > gear (right flap)
One mix of aileron > throttle (left flap

For full wing camber

You should now have one mix left so use it for flap > throttle
As we are set up for flaperon wing type "flap" will be aileron movement and this mix links flap movement to it.
The mix linking the two flaps together was set up with trim active therefore both flaps should move.
Go into flap system.
Leave the Mid setting at 0%.
Push the flap switch forward and adjust the Norm %age to give the needed amount of reflex (up flap and ailerons)
Pull the flap switch back and adjust the Land %age to give the needed amount of camber (down flap and ailerons).
You can also set thermal camber elevator compensation here
To summarize,
flap switch in the middle - normal flight
flap switch forward - speed reflex (ailerons and flaps up)
flap switch back - thermal camber (ailerons and flaps down)
Alternatively, you could set the camber and reflex on a slider by changing the switch selection in Flap System

For snap flap

Just use the built in elevator to flap mix.

End of essay.

PS don't forget to set aileron differential with down movement 2/3 that of up.

Wow Pete, one of the best essay's I've read
Thanks so much for taking the time to post all that - off to the workshop I now go, I'll let you know the results!

Well, despite everyone's best efforts here I think I'm giving up - this seems beyond me!!
PW I followed those instructions to the letter but no joy, things just didn't move as they should and I tried plenty of messing around but to no avail.
I also tried the Spekkie community download but their instructions give a servo-rx slot configuration that I cannot do because I only have aux1 on mine.

I think I just need to get someone on the slope to take a looksy. As it is now I have CROW on the stick which is great, but I don't have FS ailerons, relfex or camber! Good job I don't fly in competitions, lol!

Thanks again everyone

its weird is it not when we come to do this 4 servo wing glider setup how a lot of transmitters fall down dramatically DX8 was labeled "worlds most advanced Tx" in the adverts and yet failed to offer a dedicated glider programme for such a set up,,, please !!!
to be fair more than a few tx fall down here the DSX9 is not much better only the 11x and 12x are comprehensive (if not intuative) in this area but why should you have to pay 500 notes + for what is these days a fairly common setup, only graupner and multiplex seem to really cover this area very well, but i suppose thats because they have been glider orientated for very many years, i was allways worried that the marketing fluff that horizon produced about the DX8 would be a tad misleading when their owners tried semi serious gliders!!

Well, I suppose it's fair to say that I was flying EP more than gliders when I bought the DX8, it's only relatively recently that I'v got more in to advanced wing setups. Had I known I would have gone for a Tx with glider-specific programming.
I'm finding this sooo frustrating purely because of my own lack of p-mixing knowledge and experience, and having read in a few places that a full house setup can supposedly be done with the DX8.

Peewit did achieve all that was wanted here on his DX7 - and I'd virtually got there on a DX7 myself too, with only the FS ailerons missing. Following his pointers that was solved.

I still have the 7 for my helis and EP stuff - BUT, the whole convoluted process of sorting Luna out with the Spekky software interface really got to me and I ended up getting a Hitec Aurora 9 for my gliders.

Refitting and setting up Luna with A9 gear was about an hours job, as I was learning the software. Programming for an F3F Sting recently took me just 20 minutes or so, with a further 20 minutes measuring and adjusting the throws.

However, the DX7 is a good TX when you've got your head round it - and, as I said before, I imagine that the DX8 with it's almost identical but newer software must actually be more effective and flexible.

I'd persevere if I were you, maybe with a bit of hands on input from someone with Spekky experience. I'm sure you'll crack it just fine. If Wiltshire wasn't so far away from Yorkshire I'd have gladly nipped round to help you out.

Ro.

Edited By RGPuk on 10/01/2012 13:41:40

Thanks for the continued support guys, I am very grateful to you. I don't have time to do anything more to it today but I'll go through everything and list what I've done, and hopefully have another collective stab at it

Tbh if you are intending to get in to gliders you might be better of cutting your losses and just getting a proper transmitter instead. You could get a second job to pay for it with the amount of time it will consume

I know that doesn't help but it will be the same nonsense with the next model and the one after that.

Everyone who comes up the slope from a power or non-flying background with any sort of spektrum transmitter, that I've seen, ends up getting something else eventually (or quite quickly). I guess you could exclude the dsx9 from that because it is the same as the JR9X2 (correct me if I am wrong). Although I haven't seen a glider convert sporting one of those as yet.

I'm not trying to be negative, just honest.

Edited By Tom Satinet on 10/01/2012 17:28:15

Posted by Tom Satinet on 10/01/2012 17:27:33:
Tbh if you are intending to ........

Peewhit went from DX7 to DSX9 and flies Phase 6, Typhoon and Wizard etc etc. I was considering the same change but then Rich at T9 put an A9 in front of me .......

Ro.

look its not just a spekky issue the original DX7 was just a jr 7ch set badged by spekky, the JR dx9 is not much better, i found setting the 4 servo wing in it a pain, my 11x zero is very capable and even has the ability to have differing differential setting for flaps and ailerons, but actually figuring out how to do it due to the rubbish manual was enfuriating.

Personally Pete it depends on what you want to do in the future and what you do now, i had a dx7, and i mostly fly sport power although i knew i wouldn't mind having a bash at mouldies and electric powered thermal soarers as well, i knew the DX7 was pants at this so i knew i would have to upgrade, i saw absolutely no point in going from a DX7 to a DX8, i considered the upgrade useless, i liked the A9 but as i had loads and loads of spekky RXs i decided to stick with it and so the choice was either DSX9 or the new 11X, i fell in love with the looks of the 11 but i am also glad to report that its glider functions are far better than the DSX9.
If you do not have a load of spekky stuff and gliders are really your thing then, i personally would ditch the DX8 and look at multiplex, Graupner or the A9 by Hitec, certainly graupner and Multiplex are much more dedicated to the glider side of things than JR, Spekky, Sanwa, or Hitec, and would result in a lot less hair loss.

good luck Pete

The biggest difference from the DX7 is that the DSX9 has a specific sailplane program.

That, combined with up to five separate flight modes, does everything that I need for setting up six servo ships.

Programming wise, the DX8 seems to be a slightly tweaked version of the DX7, albeit with telemetry.

The hitec a9 is good.
You have up to 8 flight phases and all the mixes you need. Every mix can have a different setting in each of the 8 flight phases. It has a simple menu for the mixes and a touch screen.
It's not as advanced as some the high end stuff but for the money you can't really go wrong. It's not perfect but then what is, and you are paying not much for a lot of TX.

Posted by Tom Satinet on 10/01/2012 19:19:14:
The hitec a9 is good.
You have up to 8 flight phases and all the mixes you need. Every mix can have a different setting in each of the 8 flight phases. It has a simple menu for the mixes and a touch screen.
It's not as advanced as some the high end stuff but for the money you can't really go wrong. It's not perfect but then what is, and you are paying not much for a lot of TX.

Tom is spot-on. The A9 is great value and a user friendly dream after the Spekky software. All the mixes I've needed for Luna and Sting are pre-sets within the software and I've not yet had to touch any of the PMix's. RX battery monitoring telemetry is standard with the Optima RX's, with no extra module needed.

You need to get the USB interface box (HPP-22) to apply the firmware updates to TX, RX's and 2.4 module. It's a required extra, but it and the PC software work well.

It'll probably be years before my thumbs get near the skills and F3F set-up awareness that might require anything more serious.

Ro.

Well we all agree that the A9 is good value and will do the job nicely.

Regardless of whether Pete upgrades, the current task is to help him get the best out of his DX8 for the Luna set up.

I note that he is using an AR600 receiver which is fairly new.

Does anyone have experience of the AR600? - i.e. does it behave he same as a 6200 etc

Morning guys - last night I did do a quick bit of online window shopping at other alternatives, but it all comes down to the fact that I have 11 spekkie rx's which are mostly in EPs and simpler 3 ch gliders. Only two models I have have 4 servo wings - the Radian Pro and the Luna. Although I'm relatively experienced I only ever fly at sport level, if you like, and aside from the occasional light-hearted club (Wessex Soaring Assoc.) comp my level of flying will more or less stay where it is for the foreseeable future, and I'm quite content with that

So I guess what I'm getting at in a roundabout way is that I don't really want to go through the hassle and cost of swapping out all my rx's to another brand, and at the moment I can't really justify the cost of a DSM2/DSMX compatible JR tx. So for the moment I'll stick with the DX8, like it or loathe it!

I've got some free time today so I'm going to have another play with what's kindly been suggested in this thread and some more of my own ideas, and I'll see how it goes.

So far my successful options with the luna have been a Radian Pro based setup i.e. CROW on the flap switch, reflex and camber on AUX2 or my own trial and error mix which has CROW on the throttle stick (much better, yes) but no reflex/camber and only one working full span aileron, lol.
The thing with the RaPro setup is that the flap servos are Y-harnessed into the gear slot, whereas of course on the Luna the flap servos have their own slots. So maybe today I'll see if I can play with the RaPro setup by throwing an additional thr mix in to the fire.

Ah, one more thing PW - I'm still confused as to why I should be selecting flaperon wing type and not 4 servo wing type.

Posted by Pete Carpenter on 11/01/2012 09:13:38:
Morning guys - ...........

Ah, one more thing PW - I'm still confused as to why I should be selecting flaperon wing type and not 4 servo wing type.

The flaperon mix setting within the software enables the aileron travel to go same direction for CROW as well as different direction for standard aileron.

Ro.

Ah ok, got it - ta Ro.

Well I spent a good few hours on it today and have more or less gone back to a tweaked Radian Pro setup in dispair! So CROW came back off the throttle stick and on to the flight mode switch (a lot easier to reach than the flap switch) and reflex/camber is on the Aux2 switch. I'm ok with it like that for the time being, it'll suit my needs for now but it's all been a big lesson in how to/how not to mix a DX8 for a glider!

The bummer I now face is that during all the receiver manipulation and plugging/unplugging etc I see that the shorter aerial has been damaged so now it looks like I need a new rx. The silver coax wire has broken about 4mm out from the rx body, yet the plastic outer insulation is intact. Do we ever win in this game??