Luna II setup with DX8

Yes, I've given that one a try. The issue there is that they've done it with a 7ch rx using 2 auxiliary channels, whereas my 6 ch rx only has one aux. That was the issue behind my first post asking if it could be done with a 6 ch rx and not the 7 ch one that they say is necessary (I know 7th ch should be for a motor, but that's not what they say in that sailplane setup, which adds to the confusion even more!). I did try utilising the throttle channel with their setup but alas it didn't work out.
I guess someone somewhere might have worked it all out with a DX8 and the right rx, but it's beyond me! Thanks again for all the help in trying

Edited By Pete Carpenter on 11/01/2012 17:22:36

Advert

Well, a 7ch RX is cheaper than new kit all round and if it spares more head-scratching, frustration and wasted time, maybe it's the wisest route for you.

I found some more non-HH info at the following link that relates to the Spektrum downloadable 'sailplane' file which may help too: Spekky 7ch RX Glider Mix info

It could be just a paraphrase from HH copy, but it seems a little too involved, knowledgeable and glider savvy for them.

Pete C, if it's any consolation guess what I'm meant to be doing next week? Fitting out a 4 servo winged Flying Fish for someone, then putting a Spekky 6ch RX in and programming it with a DX8 ...... !

I had no qualms about it at all - until now ........

Ro

Thanks for the links guys, I'll look at that RCG one later today.
Ro that page you found is the official Horizon blurb from their community page, that's what I tried and that's where their 7 ch rx statement is (somewhere in that lot).
To my knowledge there isn't an AR700, it's the AR7000 which is a bit lumpier than an AR600, plus it has a remote unit. I just can't physically get a 7000 in my Luna they way things are.
Well, if you're going to be in the same boat as me next week then it goes without saying that i'm waiting with bated breath, lol! Please do let me know what you find and how you get on with it - hopefully your experience will have you sorting it out in no time, then you can share the secrets

Thanks for the input Lee - how was it mounted? It all seems so tight in mine!
I've kept the 6 cell (2/3AA 1600mAh) pack that the previous owner put in there to aid the balancing, maybe I could rethink the whole thing and start again. I do have a switch harness crammed in there. 

Edited By Pete Carpenter on 12/01/2012 15:39:25

Posted by Pete Carpenter on 12/01/2012 15:37:15:
Thanks for the input Lee - how was it mounted? It all seems so tight in mine!
I've kept the 6 cell (2/3AA 1600mAh) pack that the previous owner put in there to aid the balancing, maybe I could rethink the whole thing and start again. I do have a switch harness crammed in there.

Edited By Pete Carpenter on 12/01/2012 15:39:25

Until Lee gets back to you: Early days my Luna had an AR7000 in too - until it was needed for something else and an AR6200 was put in. Fit-out was: front to back - cast nose weight, 4x AAA Eneloop square pack, AR7000 with connectors down and forward at an angle of 45 degrees (stub aerials out either side, folded back a little by the nose sheath), servo tray, switch on the rear of the tray, satellite RX behind that velcroed to the fuz side just in front of the ballast tube and bulkhead.

Interestingly, I've just looked at my first 18 month old, rather naive programming sheet for that 7ch (before I'd made the Peewhit Ninja amendment to get the works with) and I never used the Throttle port due to no experience or help.

The plug-up and programming was -

Thro -
Aile - RAile
Elev - Elev
Rudd - Rudd
Gear - RFlap
Aux1 - LAile
Aux2 - LFlap

Flaperons - On

PMix:
1. Thro > Aux2 (LFlap CROW)
2. Thro > Gear (RFlap CROW)
3. Thro > Elev (CROW compensation)
4. Flap > Gear (RFlap camber and reflex)
5. Flap > Aux2 (L.Flap camber and reflex)
6. Thro > Flap (Ailerons CROW)

It was my first ready-to-fly attempt with a 6ch glider ever and it didn't give me snapflaps or full span ailerons - but to be fair I haven't used 'em that much since I did have them - maybe they just don't suit what Luna is that much.

Ro.

full span ailerons are essential in my opinion on the luna and so is snap flap if you like to fling her about near the edge, you might get away with no snap flap but i found full span ailerons a must, and this is where the DX8 might fall down as you will need higher differential on the flaps going down than the ailerons as the flap mechanics gives you much more throw on the down travel than the aileron for the same stick input

Lee,
With the DX7 I just set the flap movement in the aileron to flap (throttle and gear channels) mixes.

Roger,
I am still confident that this can all be achieved with a DX8 and would love to have a tweak myself.
Unfortunately, I am away this weekend.

Does anyone have a "spare" DX8 that I could borrow for a while?

The AR7000 setup is more or less in line with the Horizon sailplane DX8 download by the look of it. I had briefly looked at an AR7000 in a larger 3m span glider on the slope last week and it looked so much bigger than my AR600 but clearly it's deceptive, I'm glad to hear that it will fit in a Luna if push comes to shove.
The good news for the time being is that Horizon have offered to fix my broken aerial free of charge, so that's something

I don't think I'd benefit greatly from snap flaps given my level of flying, but I can see the attraction of FS ailerons - even with good deflection it didn't roll half as quick as I thought it would, when I flew it last weekend.

Ta for the pic Pete, tidy job! Part of my rx location issue is that the builder (I think I'm owner #3) made the left aileron/flap wiring loom a tad too short, and quite a bit shorter than the right hand one, so I'm a bit tied to where my rx can go without re-doing the loom to give me more options. I should strip the whole lot out and start from scratch really, but it's ok as it is for the time being - just a mess, lol

Inherited fit-outs can be a bit of a pain when they are only to the limits of the original install components. For expediency it's always worth considering extending a servo-RX lead or two with a new tail and plug fitted properly with solder and heat-shink onto the chopped off end of the original.

Tuck the splice away and the 'Ooer. I wouldn't have done it like that!' doom merchants will never know it's there to point at and criticise.

And anyway, the neatest put together and most gorgeous toys are always the first to get bent. ...

How about some pics as you progress?

Ro.

Yep, I'll post a pic when it's done. I went to the slope yesterday really looking forward to flying it, but one of the soldered wing connections broke as I was putting it together, so that was my cue to rip everything out and redo it all