Luna II setup with DX8

Hi Everyone,
Does anybody have experience in setting up a full house wing (crow, reflex, camber & full span ailerons) with a Spektrum DX8 and an AR600 rx? Preferably with crow on the throttle stick...

I've currently got my Luna set up with the Radian Pro mixes from Horizon, but would like to get crow on to the stick and add full span ailerons.

Any help very welcome, I'm a bit of a mixingphobe!

Cheers,
Pete

Advert

Thanks Pete, I've just contacted Nigel for some advice. I've since read elsewhere that a 7 ch rx is only needed if there's a motor involved, so hopefully i can get away with 6.... I'm not holding my breath though!

Err, tow release, waving pilot, bomb drop, RGP???

Sorry, it wasn't a considered answer, just posted in passing to point the OP towards a similar thread. I know that all the info necessary on setting the DX8 up for full-house sailplane mixing is on the Spekky Community website but I've yet to get any confirmation in either thread as to whether anyone else has bothered looking........

I'll not be needing full-house any time soon, so I'll get back to my vintage build.........

Pete

Pete C,

Found it! Here's the link you need:
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=36895

I fly with Peewhit. He used a DX7 and AR6200 6ch RX on his RCRCM Typhoon (a 'Kate Moss' Luna II)

Unless the DX8 is actually less capable than the DX7, you should be able to achieve exactly what you want for Luna.

Your RX hook-up should be:
AILE - AUX 1
AILE - AILE
FLAP - THRO
FLAP - GEAR
RUDD - RUDD
ELEV - ELEV

Then mix away.

Ro.

Posted by Pete B on 08/01/2012 16:11:15:
Err, tow release, waving pilot, bomb drop, RGP???

Sorry, it wasn't a considered answer ....... snip! .........

Pete

Actually Pete, no apology needed, as the extra channel on a 7ch RX (if one will shoehorn in) could be most useful for a lost model alarm. ......
Ro.

Ah thanks Ro!! Great stuff, thanks for digging that out. That's my week sorted

No, I don't have a 7 ch rx, it's an AR600. It's just that the official Spekkie blurb on the topic states that a minimum 7 ch rx is required to get the full setup, hence my concerns about using a 6 ch one.

The "then mix away" part of your info is going to get me banging my head against the wall, I'm sure, but I'll post here again if (sorry, when...) I get stuck!

Posted by Pete Carpenter on 08/01/2012 16:49:56:
.......... The "then mix away" part of your info is going to get me banging my head against the wall, I'm sure, but I'll post here again if (sorry, when...) I get stuck!

If you take it stage by stage, you'll get there. After I'd got Luna set up the first time, only then did it all seemed so logical.

Ro.

Pete,

I now have a DSX9 and don't know too much about the DX8.

Even with the DX7 I could achieve:-

Flaps linked to ailerons
Ailerons linked to flap for full wing camber
Crow braking on the throttle sick with elevator compensation
Snap flap.

A six channel receiver is no problem as you only have six servos, and I have three six servo ships happily flying with all the necessary mixes on Specky 6200 receivers.

You will need to use the gear channel so don't forget to disable the gear switch by setting gear servo travel to "0,0" , otherwise an unintentional flick of the gear switch could cause disastrous results.

Just give a shout if you get stuck.

....... Thanks for chipping in with additional info Peter (Blimey! 3 Peters on one thread .. .. ) Happy New Year!

Why aren't you my adversary in the H of H Winter League 2M class?

Anyway, I guess we need point out too, that for the ailerons to work in CROW, they need to have the in-built DX7 flaperon/spoileron mix fired up too.

Ro.

Hi Ro and happy new year to you.

F3F? - can't get up early enough for that - 11am is more my time of day at the slope.

Back to the original question.

I think that the DX8 has a specific glider program that you can download.

Don't know what it is like though.

Posted by Peewhit on 08/01/2012 22:44:22: ....... I think that the DX8 has a specific glider program that you can download.

(1100h - I can truly understand the appeal of the comfort. But the pain of a monthly 0930h call at The Hole is far outweighed by the excellent banter and the feeling of coming away like your flying has improved yet again, regardless of being at the foot of the results table ...... .......)

Anyway, I'm sure there will be a downloadable DX8 file for Pete somewhere, of someone else's idea of a good programme - perhaps Pete should give it a whirl in one model memory ....... but also, I'm absolutely certain he'll learn more about model set-up, that'll prove invaluable in the long run, by having a damn good stab at his own from scratch in another.

Sorting my head out with the fluffy Spekky software helped me no end in dealing with other systems. Methinks you found the same.

Ro.

PS. I hope to see you on the slope for a fly soon.

Posted by Pete B on 08/01/2012 23:59:26:
As I said in the thread I linked to in my first post in this one, you go to the 'Model Presets' page on the Spektrum Community site.

That's assuming, of course, that you've registered the DX8 and have access to it!

Pete

A problem with presets generated by others, is that they are most likely model specific - something that doesn't matter too much with an average consumer box of bits like a Radian. With a mouldie like Luna, that benefits from such as mechanical offsets on flaps and aileron to achieve required throws, but has no manual or instructions at all, they will always be unique to that build dependant on the person that's assembled it and their assessment of what's suitable. To alter a preset to suit is perfectly feasible, but only as long as it's understood how that preset has been arrived at within the software, and how and where the settings need to be altered to achieve what's required.

I have no idea if this Luna is a fresh assembly or an inherited airframe. If it's the former, the programming decisions will start with servo choice, installation and control geometry planning. If it's the latter, those decisions will have been already made and the programming will need to allow for that.

Ro.

Morning chaps - thanks Peter Peewhit for the additional info. Yes, 3 Pete's here - maybe we should rename it Pete's Problem Page

Yes, I do have my DX8 registered and so have access to Horizon's sailplane download, that's where I read the "minimum 7ch receiver" part which made me question using a 6 ch one. I did wonder why they stated 7 channels when there are only 6 servos!

The main reason I'm not yet completely familiar with the mixing and programming is because I cheated when I bought a Radian Pro and just downloaded the model preset from the community site, without trying to work out the wing functions for myself. I then just copied those same mixes across to my Luna tx slot (obviously changed a few things for throw etc.) and so still didn't learn anything new in the process!
I was at the slope on Saturday with the Luna and a fellow member suggested I have the crow on the throttle stick rather than the flap switch, and also have full span ailerons - and so my research began

I picked the Luna up a couple of weeks ago - servos etc had already been installed (HiTech 82MGs all round), so it's not a fresh build for me.

BTW is there a favoured way to operate crow with the stick - my thoughts are to have a clean wing with stick forward and activate crow when moving the stick back, as if reducing power (I fly EP too) when landing. That makes more sense to me but the guy who made the suggestion had his the other way round. Is it each to his own?

Morning Pete.

You clearly have good flying experience already and Luna seems to have been to the slope with you and flown ok, so you know her settings.

I would simply try your own mix with another model memory, preserving your existing one for comparison and in case you get in a knot. I always seem to have multiple, experimental mixes on my TX for the same model.

What direction for CROW on stick? That is a really personal decision - and I know as many who have it in one direction as I do the other. Right now mine is set for stick down, clean wing - but I'm finding it counter-intuitive due to my EP flying where stick down is slow and stick up is go. To be honest I'm going to give swapping it over a try - on a copied and altered mix.

Ro.

Hi Pete,

I have stick up for a clean wing and pull down for crow braking.

When the stick is up, it seems more out of the way and less liable to an accidental knock which would put the brakes on.

Please rest assured that a 7 channel receiver is only needed if you have a motor.

How many programmable mixes do you have and are any of them different from the others?

I would be happy to take you through the programming, step by step.

I'd agree....theres no substitute for using a spare model memory and just having a play around with the mixes - its the best way to learn the foibles of the system.
On my throttle stick I have made a slight indentation in the quadrant, to give a slight "notch" at stick centre spot. This is my wing neutral point.
Pushing forward gives reflex or spoileron, and pulling back gives camber....or flapperon.
I too figured that this might resemble more the effect of a throttle, but as has been said, its a personal preference thing I guess.

Another consideration is the programming and selection of 'flight conditions'. As part of my strategy, CROW on the stick activation is controlled by the switch assigned to flight conditions, so that whilst flying normally the stick can be positioned anywhere. Actually, flight conditions Launch, Flying and Landing are all controlled from the same 3 position switch and CROW is off in Launch and Flying position.

Additionally, the TX I use (the Hitec A9) affords the facility to apportion any percentage of the stick movement to effectiveness - I have only the last 60% of movement actually bringing in proportional CROW, giving a dead area that allows rudder twiddling without accidental CROW operation.

Ro.

I too use three flight modes - cruise (normal), thermal (camber) and speed (reflex).

I tried a separate one for landing and never used it.

In a "desperate" situation, the application of crow just before the model hits the deck will slow it down and could save a lot of damage, hence my crow braking is active in all three flight modes.

It is all a question of personal preferences.

OK guys, halfway there but I've run out of luck at the moment so time to cry for help

I've got the CROW on to the stick and that works fine - no movement less than halfway back which is great, but I have no idea how I did that, I think the DX8 has a mind of its own.

But... I only have one working full span aileron (I've put that mix on Flight Mode 1 switch for the moment) - the left aileron is ignoring all commands and I've been through every possible combination of mixes from what I can see.

My setup thus far is....

left flap in to throttle rx slot
left aileron in to AIL
right flap in to GEAR
right aileron in to AUX1

and then the mixes are...

MIX 1 - throttle > right flap
MIX 2 - throttle > left aileron
MIX 3 - aileron > left flap
MIX 4 - hopefully somehow for the left full span aileron?
MIX 5 - throttle > elevator compensation with CROW

I only have mixes 4 and 6 available now, and I haven't even tried setting up reflex and camber.

I don't know if anyone can see any obvious boo-boos with my setup so far, that would cause the left full span aileron to not respond? My head hurts so I'm taking a break for a little while!

Oh almost forgot - should I try swapping the left and right aileron and/or flaps round in the rx slots, might that make a difference? I didn't try it in case I completely lose track of where I am right now!! 

Edited By Pete Carpenter on 09/01/2012 14:18:10

Very quick response 'cos I'm working right now - but, have you got the TX inbuilt flaperon / spoileron mix activated? And, when this mix is being used, the normal Spekky standard is to have port aileron into AUX1 on the RX, with the starboard one into AILE.

Ro.

Hi Ro - not exactly sure where the inbuilt flaperon mix is but I'll check it out - I do have the 4 servo wing type selected, so maybe that's it in DX8 lingo?
It looks like I've got the ailerons opposite to what you say, so I'll swap them and see.

Oops - I've just noticed that I made a fundamental typo in my post there, it's the left flap that isn't responding when the FS aileron is activated, not the left aileron. A stupid typo in my haste to post! 

Edited By Pete Carpenter on 09/01/2012 15:35:57

Edited By Pete Carpenter on 09/01/2012 15:36:36