Pix-e major (christmas winner build)

Adrian Day

Ah...so theres a brace in there already Adrian.....OK that looks fine....I was a bit worried that you were relying on a butt joint between the wing panel & the centre section & this wouldn't have been enough IMHO.

Yep I think you will have quite adequate power in that set up for even a moderately overweight Pix 'E'....maybe call it a "Slightly Flab 'E'"...teeth 2

You can always increase the prop size up to 9" for a bit of extra oomph after all.....the motor is good for around 120watts so theres plenty of power available to fly this model.....

Advert

morning Steve
when i first started building it i was lookng and thinking how can i get one in there with the centre section built .. as i made the model on the plane and had glued the centre ribs in place took a little thinking and some simple cuts but got it there in the end needed it a little stronger as didn't trust the original fitting for some reason.. its a little better now i hope with the brace in and if i add the rod too should keep it solid

good to hear about the set up being ok .. i don't want it flying fast just a plod about model.. something for those nice calm relaxing flying days .. so if i stick with the slow fly prop and the setup from before will be perfect.. good good ..
120w thats some little motor not that i want anything like that 70 sounds good to me ??
thanks again for your help
Adrian

You control the maximum power output Adrian.....just change the prop.....teeth 2

If it had been me I think I would have used a 1/16" ply dihedral brace attached to the front of the spar & fitted to a "spar" across the centre section but the method you have used looks fine....the trick is to try & consider all the forces acting on the part & build the structure to withstand these forces. As the saying goes "Anyone can build a bridge that will stand up but it takes an engineer to build a bridge that will just stand up"

We aeromodellers tend to be "experimental" engineers much like Isambard Kingdom Brunel who, on being told that a bridge he had designed & recently completed had, in fact, fallen down replied "Sir, I thank you for telling me for I had planned to build three more!!"

Good evening all,

Started cutting out the parts this morning.

So much better with the laser cut parts.

Both wings well on the way,fuselage sides same.

Feet cold,fingers cold,but enjoyed it all the same.

Didn't use the undercarriage style last time but need to rake it more forward this time,used to tip over

on landing before.

Regards Ian

thats what i like Tim with threads like these its a constant learning curve, i think when you have good people like your self and Steve with the know how and the way that every modeller helps each other theres the odd one who goes competitive but all in all we help each other.. ... wish this world was more like this hobby all i can say..

thank you steve for your input there Still getting to grips on the prop front .. working with sizing and slow fly so on so on.. think i still have some learning ..
like the comment about the bridge you have some very wise words there. ...

Ian Sounds like you have been a busy bee today .. its great working on this model from the CNC kits make life simple.. fast and effective.. will be waiting for the pictures of the build process
The landing gear is a little thing to play around with i find on the model.. guess its try and test till you get the best..

All the best to you all

Well been covering some of the wing today.. it looks ok ... but not happy with it dont' know why but think its going to be a recover job..dont like the tail end.. the main wings i like the look of simple clear covering with red and silver tip lines

but as for the tail well that's another thing.. was going with red/blue on my original design. so i covered the tail and now i don't like it at all .. how simple is it to pull covering off with out making the balsa get shredded or snapped ???? may have to make a new one not that i want to..

fingers crossed it will come away and look ok. anyone got simple ideas on taking the covering off????

regards Adrian

thank you Ian
Merry Christmas to you .. Christmas was pretty good thank you .. just a relax day with partner and her family.. hope that your day was good.

thank you for your comments / question.. those struts are there for structural rigidity I wasn't happy with the strength of the wing as it flexes a little when not covered so wasn't taking any chances on this happening when covered .. its made this a pretty solid model now..

(where the idea come from ) Well I see a model with them a few years back just as a little strength for the first 3 ribs the person said that it stops twisting of the wings and helps take the pressure off the root rib ... don't take my word for it. as i cant say its proven till i have tried it.

I now like the look of it to now I have clear covering on the wings

regards Adrian

Hello to everyone,

Hope you have had agood christmas.

Back to building,fuz completed from formers to rear.

Motor mount located onto F1 and held in place with captive nuts to the rear,2 pieces from front cowl cut out to clear motor case and glued together.

Will glue F1 into place this aft.

Looking at earlier notes i think i shall use the 2812 motor,9x4.7 slow fly prop and 2s 1300 mAh li-po set up.

Will fit the same struts into the wings as you have Adrian,as you suggest to try to prevent wing warp.

I had a couple of occasions during the year where the wings had warped and caused quite a stir as i flew it and not checked them.

So will fit my sruts from spar to T/E,like the idea of yours Adrian.

Going to try and make the U/C as per the plan.

Regards Ian

Good evening Ian

like the set up i think i have links to them on page 3 of this post ... prices work out around the £25 delivered .. i know I'm happy with them.

sounds like you have been doing well then from what you have written when the pics starting to pop up keep up the great work the way your going you will have this sorted in the next few days

not good on having wing warp i would like that i did notice when i was coving the first model that you get some depending on heat of the covering.. so that's also a reason that i have added these into this one..
hope that what you have found on this page has been of some help.. the people that have been helping me i couldn't ask for more.. they have been a big help

well i look forward to seeing some pictures of your build progress

Regards Adrian.

well i couldn't sleep so have made a new tail end for the Pix-E as wasn't happy with the old one, So now its setting and looking a little better than before. later today i will cover it and then i think it will be ready for fitting the push rods ..

looking forward to the fitting out of the electrics and seeing everything come together, have to say I'm much happier with this than my first one that i built.

more pictures to follow this afternoon.. bed calling as its now 3:10 am and the old eyes dropping
Regards Adrian

thanks Steve been a productive day shaping the tail feathers and covering its now nearly finished .. going to make the landing gear this evening.. looking forward to seeing it sitting like a proper plane.. not on it belly.

just ordered the electrics, and the wheels so they should be here by 3/4 jan be happy then

regards Adrian

well test fitted the tail last night and fitted a windscreen bar then this morning fitted the windscreen so taken some more pictures

let me know what you think .. I don't think she looks to bad but like other poeple's judgement

tail 1

tail 2

window 1

window 2

window 4

window close up

also plucked up the courage to glide test this morning so with a little push away she glided about 15ft levelled out with a perfect belly landing.. very happy indeed

Thank you Tim
nice to get a compliment like that from someone I look up to in the Model building world,

the clear covering really does this model justice, I think your design work needs to stand out the only thing that I didn't think about was the fact that I had written the numbers and lettering on the ribs and wing parts.. so they can be seen.. .. I just hope that the craft work I have done is up to the scratch of being shown..

also i have been watching your builds and a few others. and been trying to learn some new techniques that I have put into this model that I didn't know before making the original..

Thanks again Tim

Regards Adrian

• 2 weeks later...