Pix-e major (christmas winner build)

Adrian Day

Hi Tim and Steve

yeah i can see your point there .. its a hobby not a business at the moment but when you start making it your business its only be comes that .. not as enjoyable .. ..yeah i think i will have a think about that side of things..

Thanks
Adrian

Edited By Adrian Day on 13/02/2012 15:05:25

Advert

Of course no-one will buy your models unless they fly well.....

Has Pix E slipped the surly bonds of Earth yet Adrian or is she still a hangar virgin?? As you know we are expecting a full HD video of the first flight followed by a 25 page report on how she flies.....after all Mutt Summers did it with K5054.....

Hi Steve no its still awaiting testing but have had the once over from Colin bliss and according to him it all looks very promising .. .. only a little changing to be done on the push rods as got a little play and that,s not a good thing.. Mr bliss has kindly said that he will test it for me just waiting till im on the mend then will work out a date for it..

Not sure on the video but will get some pictures all going well.. if it dont crash

or you may even get a pictures of a smashed model

fingers crossed it should go ok

Adrian

keeping the faith that it will fly .. just never know till as you say it floats away will be keeping fingers crossed ..

yes your right there on the Colin Bliss front its the same one .. yes did it for charity and the heli still going strong in his shop window .. if you search the net there is a clip of him flying it. .. Good thing is he is a fully qualified examiner heli n fixed wing training .. so he should know what his doing i guess to get this one of the ground..

this is the said flight
Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

not writen anything in a while .. well build 2 has come a long way just got to put in the wing locating rods then this models near ready for covering .. just needs the motor ordering so that i can fit the motor mounts as for some reason the order didnt get processed 2 weeks ago but hey thats life i guess i may go a little bigger on moter size this time maybe a couple of watts for the road as i can always tone it down when its flying more power better than no power lol....

as long as it dont mess the mount up

Adrian

more pics to follow

Hello one and all,

The revamped robust version of the Pix-e has had it's maiden flight and all went well.

Last Friday morning at Pontefract park West Yorkshire (our club flying field0.

Quite a pleasant morning,the model as per my build blog using 2s 1300mAh Li-po

was hand launched into a Westerly light breeze and sailed up into the blue yonder,

Very little trim required and there after flew hands off,not all the time i hasten to add.

Flew round about 10 mins lined up for landing nice steady land,but the grass is a little too long for this type of model and she nosed over,but no damage.

Under these same conditions 20 mins doesn't seem unreasonable as there was still 70% left in the battery.

Come on Adrian.

Cheers Tim,thanks to Steve for his advice....Ian..smiley

TIM / STEVE / IAN

will be happening very soon gents got my new TX / RX 2 days ago all fitted now and awaiting a nice evening / day for a test fly .. the weather not on our side for the test that was going to happen tomoz so will keep everyone upto date .. pictures will follow .. thanks for keeping eyes out on the post gent

cant wait to see this one go now its killing me seeing it sitting on the bench everyday calling ... come fly with me lets fly lets fly away lol

Sorry not been online for a little while .. but back now .. time to learn to fly .

• 8 months later...

hi everyone sorry not been about in some time ended up in a major car crash and not been able to do to much. kind of shut out most of my life including modeling .. well you will all be happy to know the model is up and flying very .. a little speedy i would say but it does fly very well .....thank you all for your help it is now in the hand of a friend till i can get back to things well sorry again for not being about and letting you all know how this model went

best to you all Adrian

Hi Tim

Thank you for your kind msg and well wishes
been a hard year but looking on the better side of life , and looking to the future, one thing is for sure life is way to short .

Will keep you posted and fingers crossed i will have my hands on the controls of the models soon.. .. sorry to all that i havent been about posting the results, looks like your models are still in the high standards as always,
loving the remodel going on at the moments nice size manageable look forward to seeing the results
Adrian

Hi Adrian.....I was wondering where you'd got to......

Sorry to hear about the crash.....not good!! crook As John Lennon once said "Life is what happens to you whilst you are planning for the future" Hope you are well on the mend....

Great to hear about the Pix E....its still on my to do list but sadly seems to have slipped down the running order slightly....sad

Hi Steve
Thank you for your kind words and the words of JL's wisdom and the words are so true, life takes turns its how we progress to come around them.
I have starded to get back on my feet now been hard work and a progress that will still take some time, but i look forward to making a full recovery and to get onto a flying field to see my Pix E Fly using my hands.

Steve it would be great to see you make little Pix E but i know how things take priority over others one day sir you will get 5 mins

THANKS again for your kindness and wishes

• 3 weeks later...

been on a building misson this week and have built another pix-e but i have made some changes.. thats resulted in adding some extra grams to the frame weight can anyone tell me if the motor that i used in my first build in this post is still powerful enough to power this model so i know if to order another?? total weight 170g with only the tail covered, no landing gear or electrics ???

rgds Adrian

Edited By Adrian Day on 08/12/2012 23:00:11

Edited By Adrian Day on 08/12/2012 23:14:05

Edited By Adrian Day on 08/12/2012 23:22:23

Hello Adrian,

So you have built another Pixie.

If you remember my amended version using the same motor weighing in at 16.5 oz had more than enough power.

If yours balances up even a litttle bit heavier i think it will be fine.

We even tried the Pixie on 2 and 3 cell Li-po and she flew beautifully.

I may even send for the laser parts and build another.

Take care and have a good christmas.

Regards ..Ian

good afternoon Ian

thank you for your reply thats good to hear ididnt think about the extra weight your little full balsa model had.. I still like that idea maye have to try that too......may have to try some extra cell li-po's see how this one goes .

the reason I need to know is have built the wing in one and built in a wing location block and screw retainer .. it looks pretty good if I do say so my self (he! he!) and changed the cheeks to balsa not thin ply so these little things have added a little to the build but i think it works pretty well
I will take some pictures and post soon.. so you can see and maybe comment from a none biased perspective ..

Looking forward to your build blog on the 2 new models the CNC parts are well cut and make for easy build time. i use my ones to cut new parts to build my model..Are these christmas presents to your self

Hope you have a great christmas too stay safe
rgds Adrian

Hello Adrian,

The other Pix-e that my club mate built had a 1 piece wing,and flew fine.

The CNC parts for the Pix-e and other are just something i mean to do a while ago.

It's such a beautifull plane to look at and great to fly

Trouble is i am part way into my winter project which is the J1 Auster from DB scales.

But cold in the garage ,maybe build the pix-e in the house.

Regards ian

i like the look of the 1 piece wing it fits without looking like it could just pop off .. even better that some one else has tried it first and had success.

Ian is the j1 auster the one thats a cross between cub and a moth only single wing??

any pictures of your winter build be good to see progress . there is somthing about seeing new builds that i think is great..

thats the only thing i dont like about the winter cold garage i do all my building indoors .. and the pix-e is a perfect model to build in house. just glad that my better half dont mind to much me building in the lounge or bedroom.. just no sanding!!
rgds
Adrian