fitting ubec to esc

ericrw

Advert

Solder the red and black pair of wires to the red and black cables on the ESC side of the connecting plug, Eric.

You can either do this at the plug terminals or anywhere suitable along the cable. You just strip the insulation, lay the wire alongside and solder them on.

A bit of heatshrink to cover the joint, remove the red-wired pin from the 3pin Rx connection (rather than cut it as you can re-use again if you wish) and the job's done.

The UBEC will become live when you plug in the battery pack.

Pete

That would certainly do it....I usually solder the input wires from the BEC into the battery connectors of the ESC & then cover the connectors with heatshrink....saves stripping the insulation from the ESC wires.

Do make sure you make a good job of the solder joint....if the BEC connection fails your RC model becomes a free flight model.......

• 2 weeks later...
I have now soldered the two wires from the UBEC to the ESC. Now I need to know which wire connects to the receiver. Is it the black & red from the UBEC or the B/R/W from the ESC ?? There is also a switch attached to the UBEC. The wires on the switch are not long enough to fit anywhere other than inside the Cowl; which would make it inaccessable, without removing the Cowl.

They both need to go to the receiver, the B/R/W one goes to the throttle channel, the Ubec one goes to a spare channel. Or if you're short on receiver slots you can combine them in a Y lead and put them both into the throttle channel.

for what it's worth I prefer stripping a small bit off mid-way along the ESC power leads, wrapping the thinner Ubec lead around that in a spiral, soldering and then heat-shrinking... As said it's hard enough getting one cable into some connectors to solder without having two.

As Ben says, but now you have power from the UBEC, you do not need power from the ESC. Remove the middle (red) wire from the 3-pin plug (preferably by lifting the tiny tab and extracting the pin, rather than cutting the wire), insulate and tape the spare wire to the lead, and you now have just a negative (black) and signal (white) lead from the ESC.

It's better to retain the pin and tape it onto the lead as you may want to use the ESC BEC at some time in the future.

Pete