HK Dynamic-S

Devon Flyer

Looking at the motor specs and the prop included the 30A ESC wont last long!!!
The mutiplex blizzard can be had for 80 sheets from you local stockist and a well matched setup from giantcod for 30-40 .i hate the cheap electrics in these ready to fly hobbyking planes often mismatched underpowered £$%^&
Having said that the model looks ok and id never build another blizzard them herringbone spars in the wing are for people who love cyno fingertips LOL

Edited By Austenrover on 17/01/2012 18:28:20

• 2 weeks later...
Is there something I'm missing here, this looks a Multiplex Blizzard, even down the the tail and wing fixings.

How do HK get away with that, surely Multiplex would protect their design somehow? Or is it just that Multiplex is buying it from some Chinese company and so are HobbyKing and neither actually own the design?

I notice the same thing with the HK Kinetic which is almost an exact copy of the MM Merlin.

Yours confused!

r.

Posted by Seamus O'Leprosy on 28/01/2012 16:40:23:
It was This One that took my fancy at least you can pick your own power set up!

Now THAT is a clone of the Raptor from F2 Hobbies - the same people who do the Speedo................which has also been cloned as the Wraith by HK. Also available HERE
All these Chinese products look the same to me. .

Edited By Devon Flyer on 28/01/2012 16:57:55

Devon Flyer - my mistake about the Blizzard, I've taken a closer look and I see now that they are different.

I'm still intrigued how HK can essentially copy the Merlin eve down to the wing fixings though. It is as if they are coming out of the same moulds!

r.

• 3 months later...

That's all Hobbyking produce re planes- blatant (and quite precise) copies of other manafacturers planes. Okay- not quite true, they do produce a few of their own. But most of them are rips. EG the Radjet, the Skyfun (or whatever their Jamara Roo copy is).

I do wonder whether they actually come from the same companies that make the models for Multiplex, Jamara etc. Some of them are too close a copy to be just moulds taken off the "real thing".

The HK version must have a lower Kv motor as it's running a 12" prop, but otherwise it does appear an exact copy. BTW, HK are also selling an all moulded version of the Great Planes (clapping wings) Rifle which is also an exact copy, right down to the colour scheme! It's a heck of a lot cheaper and I bet the wings are a whole lot stronger too!

• 2 months later...

OK, so this thread hasn't been posted to for a while, but really, having just read it, all the "conspiracy and other junk" wink 2 here forces some "personal" comments. cheeky

The ST Models Blaze, the Kyoshso Wow, and the HK sold Dynamic-S ARE the same plane, from the same factory, hardly unusual practice for China. Why people continue to assume that the first model to appear is the only "real" one and the rest must be illegal clones beats me!!

The Blaze has the "find me if you can" fade blue sticker set, the WoW has basically the same styled sticker set but in yellow fade red, and the Dynamic-S has a completely different and much more visibly styled set in black and orange. Most of the pics in the Dynamic manual show the Blaze stickers!

Note, significantly, there are TWO motors kicking around on various models, 28mm and 35mm, hence I suspect the differing props.

What is interesting is that the recent Dynamic-S model has a differing larger and much stiffer tail mounting system with an extra plastic cover which extends up the tail further and screws through to small plates underside, presumably a tail flutter fix. Don't know if this is now on the others, but wasn't on my Blaze.

It also has full area upper AND lower tail stickers which in themselves add stiffness, and strip stiffened moving surfaces.

It also has the motor wiring hot glued out of the designed slot for it, making ESC location more of an issue unless like me you remove the glue and relocate the wiring where it was designed to be.

Comments based on being the owner of a Dynamic-S and an ST Blaze, both completely standard, used with great success as slope soaring gliders with power assist when needed (and allowed ).

I have flown the Blaze flat field a fair bit, but its no hotliner and so bluntly is boring in the extreme........however, on the slope it is TRANSFORMED and can hold its own with far more expensive glass and carbon products.

The reluctance to slow to land in tight spaces can be got round to a degree by programming spoilerons and flapperons (proportional on a side slider in my case). I also have a second switched throttle curve set to allow prop isolation as my 10CG does not have a fixed wing prop kill set up as std.

Finally, in various forums people have commented on the difficulty of achieving the marked CG.

I thought the Dynamic-S might be an issue with the extra plate and stickers way back there, but it still balances with a 1800 (as stated) right in the middle of the battery space, as did the Blaze.

I tend to slope them with a 2300mAh 3S, which IMO gives the perfect combination of "float" and penetration. If its light I'll use an 1800mAh 3S.

The Blaze is shortly to be stripped, separate flaps for crow brakes, stiffened Poly "C" glassed, and given the "almost lead sled" treatment. (that should stop the recently constant high winds dead!!!)

Hi David,

My Blaze came as a bequest from a will when a flying friend died this spring. I gained a Radian the same way and a massive collection of free flight (not my scene but I'm trying).

After a few sessions at the power field which only reminded me why I didn't buy a Blaze after he did and I maidened it for him, to be completely non-plussed, I took it on my next slope foray..................

And boy was I surprised.............it was simply ace!

I'd set up spoilerons and flapperons, but worried that they might kill too much of the aileron power during landing, I'd been conservative......wrong move, as landing, even for a slope hardened veteran, used to no landing room at all, wasn't easy, it just didn't want to slow up. This was at Mill Hill where to stray even slightly too far back is usually bad news, and landing something hot means it sliding down the slope over the rabbit holes (hopefully) a long way. A quick increase made all the difference using rudder to overcome the lack of aileron sensitivity.

The Dynamic-S is an easy put together, but if yours is like mine, the new tail strengthening piece interacts with the servo horns. I warmed them to avoid breakage and kinked them up a bit, job done. I also took the screws out of the front bracing, removed the slide in cross piece, moved the motor wiring to the centre slot (as Blaze) and replaced and refixed it. The additional ply piece they provide then holds the ESC in place just by wedging it in.

To get to your point, the Blaze has now done a lot of slope sessions, usually flown with the blades not held secure but the motor isolated out by the throttle curve switch. This provides an emergency get out of jail clause. I consider that while this is technically breaking the "no power" rule for many sites, its better to be able to land safely than to risk an accident if forced into scraping for a landing. So far I have only once touched the throttle while flying, even when launching out and landing, and that was when massive sink suddenly appeared at a site where there are a lot of dogwalkers to avoid at times, inevitably when least needed! A three second burst made it safe for all.

For a foamie I'm very impressed by its penetration and speed retention when in slope lift, and as you know, I'm not easily impressed!!

I'll comment on the Dynamic-S in comparison to the Blaze when I can fly them back to back, OK?

OK have now flown the two back to back on the same battery's charge, Dynamic first.

2300mAh 20C 3S Tipple, only the one used, so the Blaze, flown second, therefore in theory should have had less power available to it.

The motors appear identical, measured by eye around 35mm, and since you could not get a bigger dia one in there, must be the bigger size of the (at least) two sizes being fitted, stated elsewhere as 28mm and 35mm.

The spinners appear identical, however, the older Blaze folder blades have an assembled tip to tip span of 9.75", and the Dynamic a whopping 12". No markings on either to help size, but if anything the larger 12" is also a bigger pitch!!

Both CG balanced on the marks. Std supplied ESC, appearance wise identical.

So, to flight.

Handling wise the two appear to be closely the same. Oddly BOTH need a visual amount of right aileron to glide level. No visual reason obvious for this.

Now to power, or in the Dynamics case the lack of it. It gives every sensation and sound that it's way over propped. It won't climb well above about 30 degees. It doesn't accelerate well, and the top speed is useless. Revs are way below the "right" sort of sound.

The Blaze by comparision will climb vertically and not tail off, is FAR quicker, and to the experienced EP flyers ear sounds "right".

The obvious thing to do now would be to swap props over, but the farmer turned up desperate to mow his well overgrown hay and that stopped play for now.

More later if of interest...................

Edited By Dave Bran on 20/07/2012 12:10:57

Interesting stuff Dave.....do you have a wattmeter you could use? If the Dynamic is over propped it should show on the wattmeter....

Incidentally I would have thought the opposite might be true......if you "overprop" an electric motor the performance is usually ...er...very exciting...at least until the ESC/Motor/battery melts....dont know

It sounds to me more like the motor is "under propped" ie it isn't turning the prop fast enough to generate any performance.....

Any idea of the kv figure for each motor? That might be a guide....

Hi Steve,

Firstly, the motor kV is AFAICS unknown/unpublished. However, the two motors are as identical as you can tell, exactly same external appearance, exactly same wiring gauge appearance. I'm not about to remove them or risk burnout with a rev counter at rest!! wink

Both the Blaze manual and the Dynamic-S manual states that the prop is a 10x6.

My Blaze measures 9.75" pitch unknown.

My Dynamic-S measures 12" again pitch unknown but def looks more than the Blaze.

If you take an electric motor over its viable torque curve it'll handle it poorly performance wise, it might be exciting when it burns out the weakest link, but the performance getting there won't be.

I have now put a 9.75" x 7" on the D-S. This looks the same as that on the blaze as far as visual inspection can tell. On a very brief static test (sans wattmeter) it sounds and pulls better.

I'll now get my diagnostic logging recorder out an dust it off.........