Gloster Gorcock

Hugh Coleman

Well, isn't it funny how things pan out. After threatening on Tims threads yesterday that if he didn't do a Gloster Gorcock next, I might, I was googling as you do, and stumbled across an old free flight plan for a 1/12 Gloster Gamecock.

The Gorcock is very similar - Wings, rear fuselage and tail feathers. I just need to redesign the nose from the cockpit combing forward.

So I printed the plan at 150%. This will put it at 1/8 scale. About 48" span. Very manageable.

I have two thoughts for power. An OS 48 Surpass fourstroke or a power 32 leccy setup on 4 or 5 S. The leccy will be cleaner of course. and I can run a scale prop on that too.

Food for thought.

Hugh

Hi Tim,
Was having a think about drawing it up on Turbocad earlier this evening. I already have an image file to trace over after all.

I think I will copy the construction method of the 1/12 free flight Gamecock - Fuse split horizontally along the thrust line and then joined after all the stringers are attached.

The Tail plane needs to be moved - The Gamecock had it on the Thrust line, but the Gorecock has it sitting on top of the turtle decking.

The vague 3-views I have seem to show that the upper main plane is set a little lower on the Gorecock than on the Gamecock.

Have decided on the Leccy power option (Although the Prop article in this months RCM&E has me all confused now).

The trick is going to be to decipher the shape of the nose from the 3-views. Profiles are easy enough to spot, but cross sections seemed to change from prototype to prototype.

The first of the three built has a different nose to the second and third (The third had an all metal fuselage).

Can't seem be able to post images for some reason. 

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 20/01/2012 11:18:32

OK, so I think I have decided to build J-7502. The second prototype built.
The first and third prototypes had a rounder cowl cross section with lateral humps for the lateral cylinders of the Napier Lion.
The second prototype has a round tapering cowl with THREE distinct pumps for the cylinder banks. It will be a bit more complicated to create this feature, but it's a bit prettier.

Hugh

First Prototype.

Second Prototype (I think).

Third and final Prototype.

One and Two had steel framed fuselages and timber framed wings. Three had all steel framing.

Note that three has the same nose cross section as one. Two is substantially different.

The bulky cylindrical object between the undercaraige legs is the radiator.

Hugh

PS. I can post images using IE 8.0 but not using Google Chrome. Interesting.

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 23/01/2012 02:17:03