Nirvarna

Erfolg

I have placed many posts, regarding my trials and tribulations of charging lipo cell/batteries.

My problem has been, how do I know that the cells are all fully charged or balanced.

There appears to be new set of chargers, that are more reasonably priced than say the Schultze.

The manufacturer is Bantam, the models that appear to do what I want are

• E-station 301dx
  • E-station BC6

There is quite a variation in the pricing of the BC6 from £95-136 in the UK and approx. £80 in the USA.

The 301dx costs about £59.

Has anyone bought one? How good is it? Is the difference between the BD6 and 301DX the voltage stabilized power supply?

Any tips on good sources

Erfolg

Advert

Well i have just received ( yesterday ) what appears to be a clone of the BC6 - see HERE

It does not have the mains power feature, but seems just the same in other respects, except for the huge price hike- just for a mains power feature. I run mine from the mains anyway, via home made (and free) EX PC PSU.

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/catalog/imaxb6.jpg

I know it is a HK site, but .... at £35 I couldnt resist.The same charger exactly is also available for around £55 from our friends at BRC hobbies 
http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/product_images/20071117122451_blue.jpg

Reg

I have now started to look at some of these comments (assuming that they are the same).

Some are plain absolutist in their approach, some a little pedantic, there is the not made in the USA stance (or at least badged as such).

It appears to be apparent Kokam, may manufacurer cells and assemble batteries, but buy in and badge things such as battery chargers. This is no sin, as Fords, BMW and most other domestic and other manufactures do this, to some degree. That is wiring, switches, mouldings, pressings, motors and the list goes on.

But it does remind us that when this happens with something that is not incorporated into a product,  that the prices goes up, to cover contract management, handling  charges  etc. I worked for a large multinational that did this, for some accessories, and charged about four times the cost, that our supplier marketed the same product. Our marketing people even went as far as suggesting that there are some substandard imitations and you only get what you pay for.

I will continue looking and await Timbos comments, observations and results with interest.  

I do have resevations about buying abroad, what it does to our economy. Yet the keen pricing of our national competitors makes them difficult to ignore. I normally find that BRC and Robotbirds compare favourably with others, but not always.

I am going to the USA/Mexico for a Holiday in the near future I will check out their prices, to see if it is worth buying there. To legaly avoid UK taxes. 

Regards

So far, and I have used it about 6 times for balancing/ storage charge / regular charge ( all LiPo ) it seems fine, very loud alarm signal at the end of process, nicely made, sturdy metal case, and very clear illuminated readout. Initial impression is excellent value.

I think, if I had known at the time that he stocked them, I may have purchased from BRC, as I too like to support GOOD (deserving ) UK retailers, and his price is close once you factor in the risk of customs, and overseas postage. I had ordered several other items from H city on the same order, so this made the postage a little less of an issue.

Timbo

There appears to be lots of interest in chargers and many forum members are seeking new chargers(myself included) 

Any chance when you have a minute,of detailed observations on the Imax B6.

There seems to be an element of nitpicking in some of the US forums re: voltage discrepancies etc

I have not owned/used it for long enough to yet give a formal review, but I would say that the nitpicking is partly justified. However, the problem with suspect level readings is sort of " who checks the checker that checks the checker that checks the checker" IYSWIM

Some people have stated that their DVM gives a different reading to the IMAX,but how do they REALLY know that the DVM is right and the IMAX is wrong? I have 5 DVMs and no two meters give exactly the same readings, but frankly the discrepancies involved are so small that I just dont worry about it, after all we all seem happy to accept at least 5% and even 10% tolerances in most of our DIY components such as resistors and the like, so I am sure that these mass produced gadgets suffer the same fate.

Perhapas in few weeks I will do a review, but I wouldnt expect miracles - as an old boss once warned me just prior to leaving for a buisness trip to Hong Kong, "watch yourself in WanChai district, and if you buy a cheap rolex, thats exactly what you will get a cheap watch". Wise words.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the BC8 and the Aero Test box from Bantam from Leeds models.

Both brilliant bits of kit, especially as ithe BC8 will charge ANYTHING.  I wish the BC8 had a mains feature. Not too bad, as I have a 20 amp 12 psu from my other hobby: amateur radio, so not a problem. They are both very well made, the instructions are good, and both items show that considerable thought has gone into the design.  J.