RX Battery failure in flight!

Tony H

Advert

Me and timbo agreeing yet again!!
I dont have telem i dont need it never had a pack fail capacity wise in flight, i have 5 or 6 flights plug in my old hitec checker 300mah load into the switch harness and instant reading safe for another 5 or 6 or go home its so easy why you getting so hung up on what is a very rare thing ?

Of dozens of RX 4 and 5 cell packs I have had only one rapid failure.

A new Trainer I built to help new flyers, with everything new including a four cell Battery. All seemed well till about forty feet up and fifty yards out, instant loss of control, nowt worked. Crash. The cause proved to be the lead from the pack only held in place by the heatshrink wrap and vibration caused the contact to fail. No Solder at all. Quite rare I think.

David, I wouldn't worry too much, I've been flying for years and this is the first time a battery has ever died on me, I also used to use 600mah Nicds with out any problems.

This is only the second time an RX battery has caused me a problem the first time was my fault I didn't secure it properly a few years ago in my old Yamamoto, it crashed at full speed and went a foot into the ground! and the only thing broken was the fuselage all electrics and engine were fine even the tailplane and main wing, I rebuilt the fuselage and flew it again with the same equipment 2 weeks later .

This time it was definitely the peak charger miss reading the batteries, I reckon it only had one quarter charge in it. I'm cycling them from new from now on, the other option is to go down the new Life rx battery route.

To give you an idea of how rare this is, I have been using the same type JP 1300 batteries in all my planes (I have 8 IC and 8 Electric ), I fly 2-3 times a week with a total of about 8 flights a week in the summer and about 3 flights a week in the winter (roughly)

So if you work it out and half the total (taking into account bad weather). I'd say I fly around 24hr's in one year or around 144 flights

OK Thanks Tony ,It just freaked me ,this RC lark is so expensive ,I originally was just looking to get back into model building , as I loved it as a kid and wanted something to do other than play computer games and watch the goggle box . but RC flying looks so cool and I still get to build models ,I have no Idea if I will be able to fly them as I have never tried it . I have found a spot not too far away that the RC flyers use and it doe's look like fun; can see how the bug can get you hooked I am saving for a TX and SIM and then a trainer I will learn to fly while I build my Spit , It will take me time to get the cash together but it will be worth it ,I haven't been put off mate . I just didn't understand that it is not an every day occurrence and not a likely to happen just do your the check list before you take off Thanks for your concern mate

I know it won't help but I stopped using nimh about two years ago, after a flirtation with lipos I bought ten 1100 mAH 4 cell nicad packs from overlander, they are sanyos.
No trouble, I recharge at the field after two or three flights or swap the batteries over.
I'd recommend buying more to anyone whilst they are still on the market. Mine should last until futaba bring out rxs and servos that operate off two cell lipos when I'll change.

Just checked the overlander site, those batteries have almost doubled in price since october 2010 (my last order) so I bought some 1000 mah sanyo 4 cells and a 1000mah tx battery to keep me going.