Foibles of Biplanes

Matt Watts

Hi Matt

I think I have noted, that in some ways the competition does contribute to the degree. In my time, if this is the equivalent of a Labwork, although they mattered, I think you had to achieve a certain % mark over all the labworks, to be able to sit the end of terms exams. So although, they mattered, you could not afford to disproportionately spend to much time and effort on all or any of them (my strategy was to make sure I did all of them, as it was easier to get the % that way). So I guess they will all have time constraints, and their own stress to manage, with conflicting demands on time and intellect.

So although it is possible to spend a lot of time and effort in the design and documentation stage and literally fill filing cabinets with calculations, minutes of optioneering workshops, progress meetings. Much will not score a single mark, and at the expense of all the other work that the students must do.

I guess as their mentor, the biggest favour you can do them, is encourage, the formation of a plan, of what documents are a must. As you suggested, a Gantt chert (programming the whole project) etc.

I think the same goes for the design file and all other elements within the tasks. I am sure that you can get them to brainstorm what is required and cut down to the core, the must haves. Stress and force calculations on major components, Drag calculations etc I guess spread sheets are the standard way of evaluating potential changes to design, quickly, as part of the design process?

Many of us modelers, tend to think about the fun of the build and flying, the rest not coming up to any extent on most of our radars. Yet from the students point of view, the comp, is just a fun day, at the end of an intellectual and practical process.

I guess many will modelers, will have similar memories stirred, of the stress and time demands whilst young, Others just seeing a good time, which engineering students seemed to have few off. I just remember of needing to get good marks, to satisfy my employer, who demanded their pound of flesh, spending hour, upon hour at studying, always thinking, have I done enough. Being aware, that during early studies ONC, HNC, how many fell by the way side, many very clever. The biggest shock, was a lad, who was so good at maths, he knew how to everything without effort, he failed maths, and that was the end of his sponsored studies, something I have never forgot. Have times changed I wonder?

Edited By Erfolg on 16/02/2012 14:02:09

For us, the Heavy Lift Challenge is a voluntary thing we do outside of our course. It gives us first years something to do in between deadlines, not to mention a serious edge in the 'UAV' building we do next year. Don't get me wrong though, I'm in this because I love the hobby, and wish to learn more about designing and building models.

And believe me, I'm not the group mentor. Perhaps someone who took a little initiative by seeking help from this forum, but little more.

Hi Matt,

Just to thank you for this thread. Since getting back into aeromodeling I have always read the reports on the Heavy Lift Challenge with great interest. So please carry on as it is great to have the info of what goes on before as well as after the event.

Peter

Sorry Matt for the misunderstanding.

Good luck with your studies.

What is the UAV challenge?

Anyway, although it all seems fun and it should be, there is a serious aspect. In many ways, all competitions are not very different to the world of industry and commerce, particularly if winning is seen as enhancing the fun.