Futaba 9Z: Workshop Manual Available (Unofficial!)

James Y

It's took awhile, but I've written a fairly comprehensive workshop manual for the Futaba 9Z series of transmitters. I did this as a favour for a few guys at RCG forums, but figure it's probably just as useful for us guys across the pond!

It has 60 pages of procedures and information covering virtually every repair, service, calibration and upgrade procedure I could think of or find on the web. Anyhow - Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD FROM:
You can download it from my website using the link below:

http://www.jamesandtracy.co.uk/howto/9Z.htm

I've chosen this approach (rather than posting it here) as I want to maintain Config Control of such a large document! Please let me know if there are errors in it - I'm sure there are, but I've checked it pretty thoroughly.

Advert

BACKGROUND:
It all started because I got a 9ZAP WC2 and needed to replace the back up lithium battery, I then said I'd write a 'how-to' for disassembling the 9ZAP for some gents at RCG that helped with the purchase. However, as I wrote the disassembly procedure, I found I was writing or referencing more and more stuff. So I thought "what the hell....I'll just write a Haynes manual like I have for my car".....it expanded from there!

INFO and SCREENSHOT:

CONTENTS:

1. Introduction 6
1.1. Document Overview 6
1.2. Disclaimer & Warning! 6
1.3. Distribution and Use 6
1.4. How to Report Errors and Get the Most Recent Version 7
1.5. The Different Futaba 9Z Models 7
2. How to use this Manual 10
2.1. Document Structure 10
2.2. Servicing and Upgrade Matrix 11
2.3. Preparation and Tools 12
2.3.1. General Tools 12
2.3.2. Specific Tools 13
2.3.3. Working with Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) 14
2.3.4. Soldering 14
2.3.5. Working with Ribbon Cables 14
2.3.6. Attitude 14
3. Servicing the 9Z 15
3.1. User Password 15
3.2. 9Z Transmitter Calibration 15
3.3. Replacing Corner Switches 15
3.4. Aerial, Front face controls, gimbals, and POTs 16
3.5. Backup (Lithium) Battery 18
3.6. LCD Screen 20
3.7. Transmitter battery pack 21
3.8. RF Module 22
3.9. Hard Resetting the 9Z Back to Factory Settings 23
4. Upgrading and Tailoring the 9Z 25
4.1. Adding extra 3 position switches 25
4.2. Tailoring the Reference Plane of Joysticks 25
4.3. Backlit LCD Display 26
4.4. 9Z Mode and Version Change (e.g. ZAP to ZHP) 28
4.5. Upgrading to 2.4GHz and Telemetry 28
4.6. Cycling and Fast Charging the Transmitter Battery Pack 30
4.7. Building a DSC Cable for Direct Servo Control 33
4.8. Building a Training Cable for Buddy Boxing 33
5. Disassembling and Reassembling the 9Z’s Case 35
5.1. Stage 1 – Module and Battery 37
5.2. Stage 2 – Case Back 37
5.3. Stage 3 – Case Sides and Corner Switches 43
5.4. Stage 4 – LCD Panel 45
6. The Futaba Service and Test Menu 51
6.1. Overview 51
6.2. How to Access and Use these Menus on the 9Z 51
6.3. Service Menus (Calibration and Upgrade) 53
6.4. Test Menus (Fault Finding & Checking) 54
APPENDIX A. The (Almost) Universal Service Menu Enabler 55
APPENDIX B. RF Module, CAMPAC & DSC/Trainer Port Information 56
B.1. Futaba RF Module Pin-out Information 56
B.2. Futaba DSC/Trainer Pin-out Information 56
B.3. CAMPAC Pin-out Information 57

Go on......be tempted and buy one!

They can be had very cheaply - I got my WC2 for £50 in the end as it did have some damage the seller knew nothing about that needed repairing (was listed as £80). That was case, Tx, spare battery, leads, DSC, charger, neck straps....the lot. I spent another £90 upgrading to fully fledged telemetry unit with RX, display and sensors. Bargain!

TBH I had considered a 12FG or 14MZ and it was really for my son, but I doubt I'll be upgrading anytime soon - the only useful thing that it can't do is switch logic.

If you're flying 10C, 9C or 8U's - buy one, there's no contest with a 9Z! And the menu system is very swift to use and highly flexible. Some peeps make out it's a nightmare, but I suspect they just don't read the manual and spend some time learning it

I must admit that when I used one while test flying a model for someone I found it rather bulky although the quality and capabilities far outstrip the "inferior" FF10 and FF9 that I normally use.

Perhaps this is something you get used to of course but as a hand held thumbs flyer, dimensions are a consideration.

No worries, glad to help - but can I ask you (and others) a favour?

If you try something in the manual that's partially documented or come from 3rd party info (like LCD removal) - can you take some pictures and/or make a few notes and let me know so I can confirm or improve the listed procedure in the manual. I'll of course credit you in the updated version (or not if you prefer!)

That way your knowlege will help others - which was the whole concept behind the manual

Cheers

James

@Martin Harris " I found it rather bulky ...<snip>...Perhaps this is something you get used to of course but as a hand held thumbs flyer, dimensions are a consideration."

You're right, and it was how I felt with the 9Z. I fly thumbs on and do a lot of Alula style DLG'ing where a 9Z (I thought) wouldn't ever be used and bulk would be an issue.....2 months on and I've ditched my dedicated 8U's that's been used for my DLG and other foamies for my 9Z. I don't notice that 'bulk' anymore at all, so I guess it's a "what you're used to" kind of thing! Why am I using my 9Z for simple 2 & 3 channel foamies? One word......."Conditions".............in fact 8 of them per model (although I only tend to use 3 or 4). Sure there are ways to get round not having them, but once experienced you will NEVER want to be without them again on anything....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

JULY 2012 - Futaba 9Z Unofficial Workshop Manual Version 3 Released
Version 3 of the Unofficial Workshop Manual has been released today and can be downloaded from the link in the original post or below.

www.jamesandtracy.co.uk

This is a major update and contains over 20 pages of additional information, bringing the document to over 80 pages. Please be aware you'll need a PDF reader compatible with v7 and above to read the document.

If you're wondering what happened to version 2, this was released in May as a restricted Beta release for subscribers who left their details on my site. This release has incorporated the summary of comments made on version 2 throughout the Beta stage.

Cheers guys & have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Release 5 of Version 3 is now available to download.

This corrects the rather obvious error on the DSC pinout - sorry guys, Word auto-updating lists suck (I thought I had that gremlin knocked) - thanks to all who pointed it out!

• 7 months later...

Guys,

I need your help.

Over the next few months I'm going to update the manual for 2013 as there is some more useful stuff to add that has come into my hands (thanks all).

If there's anything you want in the manual that's not already there - nows the time to shout it out.

Likewise, if you have any info that isn't in the manual, please let me know - PM's OK or via this link is best for a faster response.

Happy trails
James

• 1 year later...

August 2014 Update: New Version Available

This is a major revision of the manual which has now over 100 pages of information.

In addition, as a result of numerous requests it now include the 6 different 9Z LCD button templates to repair or customise your 9 ZAP, WC1 or WC2 LCD buttons now that these Futaba parts are no longer available.

Version 4 Release 6 is now available to download from http://www.jamesandtracy.co.uk/howto/RC.htm

And thanks to all who continue to donate to support this guide - it all helps to keep things going!yes

Enjoy guys smile d

Edited By James Y on 05/08/2014 19:38:10