CAP Mosquito

Djay

I have just started the build of my CAP Mosquito kit I obtained from someone recently.

Having now got the correct plan for it, I have no instruction sheets and have ground to a full stop.

The aircraf t is a one piece wing and fuse but none of the drawings makes sense without the instructions.

Does anyone have a set they can scan and send me?

I have contacted Anglia Models but nothing yet from them.

Thanks

Darryl

• 1 month later...
Advert

Well in the absence of any instructions and the fact that the wood supplied is more like oak than balsa, I binned the kit, except for some ribs and formers and just used the plan to make the model. A lot of head scratching involved as the part templates are different size to the profile views of the wings and airfarme, and lots of areas not shown.

I brought all new lighter weight balsa, cut out lightning holes in the ribs and formers, and made the wing removable with the top part of the fuse removable to fit the wing.

All solid parts were either made from thick sheet or hollowed out.

Also fitted air retracts into the lightweight nacelles I made.

The airframe is now complete and glassed and weighs just over 3lb empty of any equipment.

It feels nice and light as well.

Just prepping for painting, and then fitting all the equipment, which it is all ready for.

Two electric axi motors, 40 amp esc's and two 3 cell 2500 lipos's. This power set came out of my Black Horse B25 and that was overpowered and heavier, and was the recommended set up for that.

will post some pics when painted, hopefully test flight in two weekends time.

Darryl

Hello Eamonn.

no construction photos.

most of it was make it up as I went along. Cut a bit here, stick a bit here, change that etc.

Some pics below as I started glassing it. The dark clour of the wood is from the old sanding sealer I used, and the light areas are the new sanding sealer. Still a long way to go in the pics.

Darryl

Thanks Chrissie.

certainly more enjoyable building it that way, and I am pleased the way it has turned out, considering it is suppossed to be a one piece aeroplane.

Looks much nicer now it is all sanded and primed.

Wing has no sheeting in the centre as the wing drops onto the fuse and the rib shape hangs down lower than the fuse central crutch, so the wing skins butt against the fuse sides.

There are 3 heavy ply spars that run from nacelle to nacelle, so this gives all the strength. The firewalls being part of the front spar.

Now got to fit 2 batteries and an air cylinder in that wing centre section, and allow clearance for the formers of the fuse top section, which I am still working on as it is not the correct shape, to much of a hump on it, so will redo it.

Darryl

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of pics in its finished state.

Weight all up, with two 3 cell 2500 lipos, 1 r/x battery, motors, radio etc is 7.3lb.

Axi 2814/12 motors with 10x6 props and 40amp esc.

retracts, removable wing.

Spinners are to pointed but at the moment this is all I can get in the size required.

Outline is not 100% either, but if you squint it looks like a mossie.

Darryl

Well it flew and landed back in one piece.We had some issues with the fixed tailwheel and keeping it in a straight line down the runway, but eventually it took off.

it was very pitch sensitive but only need a few clicks off down trim. Plenty of power available. When the gear was retracted it pitched up violently and tried to spin, so the gear was put back down.

Only a short flight but it is in one piece.

C of G has been brought forward a lot from the plan position, and a steerable tailwheel has now been fitted.

I will try it again in a couple of weeks.

Darryl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i built the cap mosquito in 1970. Just from orginal plans only. i built as plan.

There are no instructions for it.You either know what to do, or you learned how to build from plans.

This particular plan is easy to follow for a fairly reasonable builder,and i would not have it any other way.Now with more modern materials and gear you can add and alter as you wish.

I have also built the Brian Taylor mosqito and thes flew very well.

I was so impressed with these models i am building them again.

My mosquito had two O.S 30s fitted, fixed undercarraige and flew perfect.

It is best not to over power twins. Tony.