3 things I have learnt........

Oldbaldfella

over the past few days. This is after 8 years out of the hobby.

1 Radio has changed

2 Electric has changed

3 Foam has changed

I'm sure there are a few more surprises waiting for me but I think these have been the biggest ones.

I was heading down the i/c route for my powered flight but I am beginning to wonder. Is there any sort of electric / i/c power conversion chart anywhere? Just out of interest, of course........

Cheers.

Advert

Posted by Oldbaldfella on 27/02/2012 16:12:26:

I was heading down the i/c route for my powered flight but I am beginning to wonder. Is there any sort of electric / i/c power conversion chart anywhere?

There are several but they are all misleading.

Best to think about electric power in the same way that you thought about ic power when you had no experience of that.

Eflte offer some motors in equivalent ic sizes...32, 46, 60...that sort of thing.

In reality things aren't quite that simple.....have a quick search around the Electric section of the forum....some very good stuff there which might guide you & help you make up your mind....it depends on what you want out of the hobby really.......I like messing around with engines so I prefer IC but I can recognise that electric has big advantages in certain areas as well as significant shortfalls in others...so its down to you really.....what do you want out of the hobby & what do you like doing??

If you are going electric you will need a watt meter, it's essential for electric setups and it will teach you a lot about electric power.

Using said tool you can check if you are within limits of your electronics (rating of ESC & Motor) as well as testing how different prop sizes and pitch make a difference (some of them big).

You will also save money in the end (don't ask me how I know).

Before long you will be a dab hand at KV ratings on motors and C ratings on batteries.