American Nightmare

Shaun, I bought one second-hand, it was fitted with 400 brushed motors which I replaced with 2 * 200W Keda brushless, with twin ESC powered from a single 3000mAHr 3S lipo in the fuselage.

It was massively overpowered. It was also finished in paint on balsa, which rapidly showed itself by the maze of cracks along the fuselage. I found it a little twitchy (the previous owner admitted to finding it the same, that's why he sold it to me). Very aerobatic with the power I'd got, but not long lived.

Shaun

I have built one and converted to electric.

Motors are BRC A2217-8T with 25A ESC. 1100 3s LiPo mounted in engine naceile (see photos in my album details are also in the electric database). A Rx NMh Pack is mounted in the nose to help with ballance although some lead is also needed. Props APC electric 8x6 contra rotating., the recomended prop for this motor is 8x4 but that size is not available in LH. Not sure if contra rotating is realy needed but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

So far only two flights, the first, to set up trims, was more or less sucessful, the second was almost a disaster due to one motor failing. this motor has now been replaced and now waiting for another flight.

Edited By Mowerman on 04/03/2012 11:26:48