Melaka Malaysia

Advert

Jon,

I have worked and holidayed extensively in Malaysia/Singapore over the past 30 years.I was in Malacca last March and had a very pleasant week. The food is great if you like Malay/Chinese cuisine.

Modelling in that region? I have looked for but not found true model shops in KL (the capital) and similarly in Malacca. I would doubt that there is a model shop in Malacca such as you are used to in UK - plenty of old fashioned trading stores for spices, silks, utensils, cars (of course) but no WOT 4's! In all my 30 years of work/travel/hols I have never seen or heard model flying taking place in Malaysia but that is no great guide as the countyside is heavy with jungle and sound does not carry in that sort of forest!

Singapore on the other hand - 2.5 hours by car so an easy day trip, has several excellent model shops selling the sort of stuff you wil be used to. I have also seen (several years ago) model flying taking place on the island so the hobby is alive and well there.

Enjoy your stay in Malacca, I always have and plan to return for a few days when I am next in the region.

Peter

Edited By Grasshopper on 21/03/2012 08:17:01

• 10 months later...

John, did you find your flying field in Melaca. I was there for three years 2007, 2008 and 2009 flew regularly. Most of my stuff I either brought out from the UK or imported from Singapore - great place for a week end break. 5 Model shops in one building. Briliant.

Great flying but they are not hot on safety. If you loose a model it is in the sea or in the jungle.

Have fun.