Funjet / Radjet comparison

Advert

Steve

They do look similar, don't they? I can only speak for the Funjet - capable of high speed, but will fly slowly if required, quite robust. Mine was pretty good on a 150W setup, I'd work up from there. Sadly, mine is no more, but if I wanted a similar model again I'd give the HK product a go!

I know they sell a Roo substitute which is an exact carbon copy of a Jamara Roo (to the extent the parts are interchangeable) but the Radjet looks a little different to the Funjet. If you're going for a low power set-up by all means go Radjet but for high end power I'd get a "proper" funjet and strengthen it with lots of carbon rods etc. And definately replace the foam elevons with some balsa elevons with robart hinges.

Steve,

RadJet is about half way between Muliiplex's Funjet and Microjet. I have the PNF version which comes with motor fitted. I would sugest that you get the ARF version as this comes without the motor installed and you can upgrade the motor and ESC.

The PNF version is a hoot to fly and I am geting about 6 - 8 mins flights from a 3s 1300 Lipo. Have to say that it is fast enough for me and at 800mm wingspan, it gets small very quickly. It is easy to launch and does not dive before speed builds. Only problem so far is the supplied prop. is too brittle and is easy to break on landing. Listed replacement prop. is 3.75 X 3" but supplied prop. is about 5 X 5".

A lot of aeroplane for the money and it will get you used to fast models without having to spend mad money.

Eamonn.

• 8 months later...

I dont own a funjet, but have flown several, and with the hot power-set they are very fast. However, as much as I think Multiplex make nice stufff ( or at least the brand is attached to some well made stuff ) I think its overpriced. So, at £38 from the UK warehouse, I decided the little 800mm Radjet was worth a punt, especially as I had a fair few spare parts from other models of yesteryear looking for a new home....so upgrading the stock machine would be easy and cheap if needed. As supplied the model takes around an afternoon to complete, and needs just a receiver and battery to be flight ready. I applied diamond tape to the elevon "living hinges", but otherwise....flew her stock the next day. COG needs moving back around 10mm - 15mm at least, otherwise one ends up with a big dose of reflex which adds drag.

Flew pretty well as stock - as stated COG needs to be moved back, mine ended up at the front of the rather small and useless finger grips. Soon got bored and felt the need 4 speed, so heres my mods - unflown as yet due to weather here in Blighty, but expecting a right little rocket on this set up.

1) Turnigy 2700 kV outrunner on new ply mount. ( stock provides around 130 Watts )
2) 60A plush ESC ( stock is 20A )
3) APC 6 X 5.5 (stock is approx 5 x 5 )

Tried this motor on 4s, but even with a 4.5 X 4.5 graupner speed prop, the current was way too high, at over 60A ( 50 burst peak on this motor ), so settled on a larger prop with 3s.
( helps keep the weight down too - AUW now still only just over 1lb ).
Wattmeter readings are 50A and just about 500 Watt, as the 3s 1800 packs are obviously under quite a load so the voltage drops a bit. 500 watts per pound, @ 800mm wingspan - eek!
Here's a few pictures....I deliberately remounted the motor as the stock ply rings looked dodgy, and I wanted it hanging off the T/E a bit to help the COG.

Also got the ESC a good way back, and cut away foam to keep things cool.
I had already flown her stock, so had to retrofit an 8mm carbon tube spar, glued with gorilla glue and then CW tape over, then some trim strips to hide most of it.

rad1.jpg

rad2.jpg

rad3.jpg

rad4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tested the stock motor versus Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv

Here are the measured values:

Radjet 800 stock motor

Prop

Lipo

Volt

Ampere

Watt

Thrust

6x4 APC

4S 1000mAh 30C

13,9 V

21,0 A

303 W

730 g

Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv

Prop

Lipo

Volt

Ampere

Watt

Thrust

6x4 APC

4S 1800 mAh 35 C

15,4 V

22,9 A

354 W

580 g

The winner is the stock motor, having 25 % more power (thrust)

I have 2 Rad Jet 800, a propeller and a ducted fan driven.

Propeller drive, 440 g ready to fly

Original engine

Controller 30A

6 x 4 APC

Turnigy Lipo 4S 1000 mAh 30 c

Measured values: 13.9 V - 21.0 A - 303 W - 730 g thrust

Ducted fan drive, 642 g ready to fly

64 mm, 10 blade EDF, attached instead of the motor with 2 cable ties on the fuselage

Engine L2855-2100

Controller 45 A

Nano-tech Lipo 6S 1300 mAh 45 c (on reason of place and gc 2 x 3S switched in a row)

Measured values: 20.6 V - 44.3 A - 955 W - 1050 g thrust

The ducted fan setup prevents propeller break and has a super pleasant sound during the flyby. Due to the higher weight, the EDF version flies quieter in the wind. The impeller can be replaced at any time simply against the propeller drive and vice versa.

Therefore, you need not 2 models.

• 5 years later...