programming card?

Recently had problems with my powered glider:very short motor run resulting in very hot motor & esc. Still had good voltage in batt. when model landed? Is there a formula for different situations? I know about engine brake & soft start but what about a larger powered model,say 4-5 pounds with a Eflite60 brushless outrunner? Is there a particular formula?Assuming that a suitable esc & batt. are being used?

Advert

In view of your comments re "pulling too much power" I have a larger high wing model that I wish to install an Eflite 60 with 80amp esc &18volt batt. The prop that I have is a 16"x8". I realise that most motor ads suggest a certain prop/batt/esc combo but there must be some "golden rules" with regard these combinations? Yes I have just purchased a watt-meter & hope that its not too confusing to follow.

Posted by ross blackwell on 30/03/2012 23:18:57:

P.S. my glider is 48" wing span ,Turnigyaerodrive B2835- 3900 with Turnigy plush 60amp esc,2200 11.1 volt batt.& 10"x6" folding prop.Does that combination stack up?

Not unless it's geared down in the region of 4:1. 48" seems very small for a glider.

Guess its been a while since I checked the size of my "easy oriole" glider: span is actually 63 inches.& its probably best suited to slope soaring although it does handle thermals quite well. Would still like some "factual" advice about "what size motor esc battery propsize etc. especially setting up the programming card.

Ross a 3900kv motoer is made to drive a very small prop at very high rpm to power a small fast model. See this table.

Have a good look around this section of the forum and you'll probably find someone has already done something similar to both your models.

If not then I'm sure someone will be along who has the relevant experience.

Ross, I bought a s/h Protech Unlimited 600 that I think uses virtually the same fuselage & tail as the Easy Oriole. It also came with a spare fuselage & tail. I dumped the original brushed motor from one fus & replaced it with a brushless inrunner but have recently changed to an outrunner. Originaly I fitted the spare fuselage with a weighted nose spinner & flew it as a slope soarer but last year I mated it up with a 72" polyhedral wing & also installed an outrunner for some flat field thermal soaring.

The first fus with original 63" span aileron wings (which I think is about comparable with the Oriole) now has this motor with 3s 2300 lipo & the second fus has this smaller motor with 3s 1550 lipo.

There's a few shots of both models in My Photos under E Gliders album but only showing close ups of the inrunner fitted. If it's any help I can take some close up shots of how the outrunners are installed.

Moving sideways a little bit:now have a watt-meter & also have been checking my esc's with the programming card.If I'm using a lipo batt & the card says Ni-xx does does that mean things won't worif the esc is left at that setting? Also what does the governor mode setting do? I'm sure I had an instruction sheet origonally but can't find it.

If the ESC is programmed to Ni-xx the LVC threshold will be at 0%,45% or 60% of the initial voltage depending if you select Low, Medium or High cutoff voltage. This means that if you connect say a 3s lipo fully charged to 12.6v with High selected the battery will run down to 7.56v (2.52v/cell) which is too low.

I normally have mine set to Li-xx 3cell (9.3v) & when I've been trying to bench test a motor using a convenient 8cell Nimh it the LVC cut power almost immediately.

Here's the instruction sheet.

ESC prog card p1

ESC prog card p2