35 mhz with electric - single conversion or dual conversion rx?

I recently electrified my Wot 4 as in this thread, and though I've never had problems with glitches with my leccy glider or lightweight Depron leccy while using a single conversion rx, yesterday flying the Wot I appeared to have a couple of minor glitches. I have a spare dual conversion rx kicking about at home and I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort in switching it for the single conversion one that's in at present.

Any advice welcome (apart from switch to 2.4 ghz. I can't afford too!)

Edited By Bob Moore on 31/03/2012 16:47:25

Edited By Bob Moore on 31/03/2012 16:48:18

Advert

Hi Bob, I too fly on 35Mhz and use a Futaba single conversion Rx. I also use it on small leccy gliders and never had a glitch. Was your model the only one in the air at the time of "glitch" Cheers.  I have also heard of fliers experiencing glitches flying Wot 4's on 2.4Ghz..

Edited By fly boy3 on 31/03/2012 17:19:48

I was the only one in the air , though there's a particular aerial spot on our site where people do get glitches. It may be on a microwave link path or something I suppose.

My local dealer who used to write for rc mags told me that glitches were less likely with dual conversion?

Edited By Bob Moore on 31/03/2012 17:49:27

I use 35mhz only and and all but one of my rx`s are single conversion I have little to no problems. I cant afford 2.4 and whilst my 35 works fine I can see no point to change

dual conversion rx`s are superior to single , so if you have one I would recommend using it. it will need a special dual con xtal !!

Dont forget the all important range check, running the motor at all speeds too

I have a fairly rigid layout I use as viewed along fus. motor then esc then lipo, then a gap as big as possible, servos and finally rx with aerial continuing on back . all cables are as short as possible, all servo leads are arft of the " gap" . all cables are neat and tidy and securly fixed. I live in Cyprus so I tend to fit addional heatsinks to esc`s so they are securly mounted, I hear some people fly with esc loose and floating about !!!!!! with my eqipment if a servo lead is loose and next to the esc then glitches are guanteed

hope this helps Louis

• 2 weeks later...

With my first electric conversion (Flair Magnatilla with Graupner Speed 700 motor and gearbox, and 12-cell NiMh) I had some glitch problems on the ground during testing. Switching to an opto ESC, and powering the receiver with a separate NiMh pack, solved the problem. So that's the way I went with all my other conversions while I was still on 35MHz. Component placement -- motor, ESC, battery, and power leads as far away as possible from receiver, servos, signal leads, and aerial -- is important too.

Since converting to 2.4GHz I've simply replaced the NiMh receiver packs with stand-alone BECs. With the Magnatilla I also converted to brushless and A123 power a long while back.

I tried replacing the single conversion rx with the dual to see how it would work with that, but unfortunately the model finder bleeper refused to work with the dual. OK I know it's not essential but it has found a lost model in the bushes for me a couple of times, so I like having it on a model. (One would have never been found if not for a little faint bleeping!) Apart from that, the glitch only happens in one spot in our airspace.

I've tidied up the servo connections with cable ties and straightened (tensioned) my rx ariel and I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.