Engine suggestions

ColinJ

Advert

Hi Colin, any OS engine is an exellent choice, but be prepared to pay a bit more for it. I must also say you would not go far wrong with an SC too. The LA has the needle valve at the rear of the engine, so it is safer for beginners and old hands alike. Cheers  just checked Boomerang spec.  40-46 2stroke.Both will fly it, its your choice.The SC46 will be ideal, as said before ,you can always throttle back.  Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 03/04/2012 22:46:38

I personally wouldn't go for the 46LA they're hardly power houses as they're plain bearing (IE the front of the crankshaft is supported by a brass block with a hole in for the crank). This induces more drag that an engine with a front ball bearing (like the SC46). The LA series are not bad engines but they're not exactly cheap, they won't exactly rip the firewall of your engine and when the plain bearing wears out it's new engine time. At least with a SC46 you can change the bearing quite simply. I'm afraid my love of OS engines was also tempered by the problems they had with peeling liner coatings. No point paying more for a "quality" engine and then it failing on you.

I'm still running the OS46LA that was in my trainer. It's moved into assorted 40 sized hacks and performed perfectly throughout.

To be honest, the OP will be fine with any of the 46 sized engines he has mentioned- you are pretty much into the area of personal taste/preferences.

Posted by Codename-John on 04/04/2012 14:33:08:

Why is that David ? Ive got a 3 year old 46LA that gets started plenty of times with an electric starter and its fine

Just my experience of running plain bearing motors and finding they wear faster when started this way.

Also found that as the bearing wears the crankshaft can be forced in to the back plate.

All that said I start my lads 40LA by hand and can do it faster than than it takes to get hold of the starter.