Hangar 9 Pulse 60 size Inverted Engine

Hi , I am looking at the Pulse xt 60 from Hangar 9 . It looks a very nice and gets good reviews.

The only thing that puts me off is the engine orientation, I would like to fit my OS 91 fs but it looks horrible with it stuck upright and the beautiful cowl all cut.

Any thoughts on if I can fit it on its side or inverted?

Many thanks J

Advert

I had one and talked myself into the same dilemma, in the end I fitted my engine (saito 125) as per the original, ie upright.

After all it's only when the plane is on the ground that you can actually see the cylinder head etc and it makes life easy operationally. If you decide on sidewinder or inverted you will end up cutting much more of the cowl than upright. The icing on the cake is if you incline the muffler upward at 45 degrees or so only the fin and rudder get oil soaked. Great plane btw.

Just my 2p.

Thanks for your replies chaps. John I know what your saying but it just spoils the lines of this lovely looking airframe for me . and at nearly £200 I would like it to look niceblushyes vain I know.

Andrew any chance of some photos of your convertion ?

i have looked at this model on line, and the upright mount is orrid, but there is not much room inverted either, for me, a compramise, look at the cowl from the front, divided the head on view into 4 equal parts, have the cylinder sticking out of the corner of the bottom left hand quadrant, in other words, mount it at an angle, this will preserve the lines, and leave the top and bottom of the cowl intact

the inverted mod should not be two tricky I tried the same thing on my escapade. the trottle will need to be sorted thought. I would use either a bowden cable or mount a mini servo inline with the mew throttle arm position.

On the escapade howver the tank is quite high so a pump was needed to run the engine inverted. I am pretty sure though on the pulse the tank is more central so should be fine

Justin

Have been out flying so excuse delay in response. i had my engine originally mounted upright and like you did not like look of it and my model got covered in oil residue. i purchased second cowl and mounted engine on its side hich looks better and still flies brilliantly. I considered inverting but was put off by numerous stories of fuel syphon problems and engine lock so opted for this. i know there are numerus modellers out there far more experienced than me who would say there is no problem with inverting and they are probably right but on the day this suited me so there you have it. Flying characteristics care not affected at all and they are a superb looking kit ( hence my desire to alter mount). Photos to follow

Hope this helps

regards

Andrew