My old FlyCam One battery seems to be dying & won't hold a charge. I can see a replacement on the FlyCam website (1S 220mAh for €8) but how to fit it?

Anyone done this? If so how & did you use the official battery or find one somewhere else???

All thoughts appreciated!!

PS It might be cheaper/better to just buy a key fob camera....dont know

Advert

When my V1.0 batt died, I just ran an extension lead with a 2 pin plug that fitted the balance connector on the flight Lipo.. It draws so little current, that it won't effect flight times, but I did alternate which cell I used.. ( I ALWAYS balance-charge anyway)

You need to prise the sides apart to get it open.. I ended up just wrapping it in cling-film as it saved a few grams.. And, as with Carl's, it died soon after.. (Didn't die, so much as the ribbon cable to the CCD kept coming loose, but you don't know that until AFTER the flight)

I know there are super-duper keyfobs on E-bay, but Maplin do a 720p (half HD) one for £30, which I bought just 3wks ago..

Here's my latest vid, using it.. (Taking into account a loss of quality from tube, and my editing)

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Steve, I found the internal battery on mine pretty useless after a couple of sessions, I could only get about 5 - 7 mins or so from it even when freshly charged.

I bought a gizmo to allow switching on & off from a spare channel & connect an external battery or use the Rx battery. Downside was that it plugged into the baseplate which I didn't want to use.

To get around this I stripped the gizmo down to it's basic board, which is a as small as the Flycam's internal battery & found space for this inside the Flycam. The operate wires from the gizmo were soldered to the inside of the Flycam contact board (Connectors 1 & 2). I cut a couple of small holes in the Flycam case one for fly-leads Gizmo to Rx spare channel, the other for a lead from the contact board conn 3 & 4. This lead connects to a single 600mAH lipo cell via a JST 2 pin plug & socket which is housed within the model.

The reason for the soldering to e done internaly is so that a Velcro pad can be stuck on the underside of the Flycam body.

If the gizmo facility was not required it would be a simple job to solder a fly lead to connectors 3 & 4 of the baseplate for connecting to an external battery.

BTW the internal battery must be connected even though it doesn't have much capacity left.

• 2 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but it seems most appropriate to my needs:

I've just built a small quad, so decided to get my Flycam One III out of retirement. Of course, the battery is dead.

The battery in it is 3.7v 500mAh, but the only replacements I see that look like they'll fit are only 220mAh, and are rare as hens' teeth -- there's some 1000mAh and bigger but, from their pictures, they must be for a different Flycam model, and don't look like they've any chance of fitting inside mine.

The manual suggests that for extended use one should use an external power source. How is this supposed to be connected? There's an "Rx socket" next to the on/off switch, so can it take nominal 5v from the receiver supply through that? If so, any idea what kind of socket that is please? It looks like a mini USB, but my USB plugs don't fit it.

If there's no alternative, I guess I could simply attach any 1S LiPo to the socket inside the Flycam, drill a small hole to bring the wires out, and mount it externally. Or does the "integrated LiPo saver" in the stock battery mean that Flycam won't work with a regular LiPo?