Plasterboard

Looking to make a bigger building board and i see plaster board is always mentioned.I have been using 3mm cork tiles glued to mdf which i think the 3mm is not deep enough.With plaster board does it take pins ok with fingers and does it not crumble pretty quick?Also do you need to glue it to a backing board or just lay it on it?

Advert

I have used plaster board with no problems. Pins go in easily and the board hasn't crumbled. Mine is just laid on a level surface. I changed it recently when starting a new model. Although there were hundreds of holes in the old board I have kept it as a reserve because it is still in good condition.

I've only recently tried plasterboard as I found I had a wing to build and the right sized plasterboard offcut at the same time.

I was really surprised how well it works, easy to push pins in but they stay put and it has a lovely flat surface.

I expect a large piece could bow in time, so it's probably worth supproting it with something flat.

Max - go for it - it's cheap and it works. Like Ernie I've taped the edges and it's laid on a flat surface and hasn't shown any inclination to warp. Doesn't crumble, takes pins well and you get a lot of flat surface for your money compared with model boards. If it gets 'worn out' you can afford to replace i after you have used the other face of course!

Terry